Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sonar power consumption
I am looking at buying a x98df. My concern is about half of the time I plan on using it on my personal pontoon boat. The unit should be awsome for jigging in the deep with that but my concern is on a personal tube I only have one battery source and that is the one that propells my lazy butt around. I don't want to use all my juice looking at the bottom of the lake and then not be able to make it back to shore. I have used some lower powered units by Eagle for hours on end with no problem but wondering what everones experience is with higher wattage finders and battery consumption?

tightline
[signature]
I can't say that I've ever seen the power draw ratings published by lowrance/eagle, but a nice all purpose battery, that isn't too heavy, are the ones that power cordless drills. I personally use my DeWalt 14.4 V battery, and I've never had it run out in a days use. Plus they are easy to re-charge. Hope this helps.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I own a Lowrance X98DF and have owned an X85. My experience is that the draw on a battery is minimal for a day depending on the battery source. I have run my X85 on a lawnmower battery, a portable 12V Cabelas battery and a smaller deep cycle battery designed for wheel chairs and never could put a dent in any of them during the day.[/size][/font]
[signature]
BLM

That is all I needed to know. Sounds like I am in business. If you ever see some idiot in the middle of the Bear in a Bright Yellow pontoon boat that is all sorts of Jimmy rigged stop by and say high. I appreciate all the info you have shared. Last year I did OK from my pontoon but still was not as successful as past experience in a full sized boat. I had too much trouble holding over the fish and not drifting. This year I have a electric motor controlled by my feet and we see how well I can hold over the fish. I just cant see carrying 150' of rope and a big anchor on my little boat. And this way I don't have to kick my way out to the deep stuff.

tightline
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I'll tow you back to shore when the wind kicks up![cool] Later.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Funny you should mention that. Years ago while fishing just off west marina in a float tube during April. Big storm blew in and I tried like heck to kick against the wind to no avail. After many cold, wet, and miserable hours I ended up on the east shore exhausted and almost hypothermic. I then hitched a ride to get back around the lake. Talk about young and dumb. I am still not sure how I lived through it.

Tightline
[signature]