Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steelhead Fishing , Why ? Part one .

You've got to wonder why someone would decide to slip into a ice cold river just before dawn when the windchill is hovering at a mere twenty degrees below zero .I know my family and friends ponder this question on a regular basis , there conclusion , the boy lost whatever common sense the Lord gave him or there's a few too many cobwebs in the attic .
Truth be told , I sometimes like the look on their faces when they hear my outings for the weekend , I try not to lead a normal boring life .
Steelhead fishing is something I dream about . Your never quite sure when that first hookset will take place .
The peaceful sounds of the river are suddenly interrupted by the sound of your reel peeling off a few dozen yards of your line , your rod doubles over as you fight to keep it in your half numb fingers and every transient thought that occupied your mind seems to disappear leaving a crystal clear sense of focus of what life is all about .
I do from time to time partake in ice fishing , but that can be slightly boring , sitting and waiting for something to happen has no thrills for me . Watching a ten pound flash of silver burst threw the rivers ripples somersaulting into the crisp winter air , oh man , you just can't get that feeling from anything else in this world .
Life offers us a few challenges to better ourselves , sometimes however challenges are substituted and diminished to give ourselves a false sense of acomplishment . The electronic age of x-boxes and I-pods are just such a curse . Each person must take the primal spirit in ourselves out once in a while to discover who we really are . Steelhead fishing is a true test of self worth , the ability to explore your limits of endurance , to challenge your mind , to test your body and your sole all at the same time . Real accomplishment , you can't get that in a video game , you have to live it for yourself .
I know some of you are thinking "how hard can it be to catch a fish "? , Steelheading isn't your regular type of fishing , luck never comes into play in this sport . You have to have a sharp mind , quick reflexes, patience , the ability to out think your quarry and to contemplate all the hazards the river will throw your way , few possess these qualities at first but like anything else , when exercised you can achieve it .
[signature]
No one who "likes" fishing would ever, or should ever go after steelhead in Jan-Feb. You have to LOVE the sport (or be extremely hungry) to be out there in that weather.

Seeing your line snap to attention in the cold crisp air and having half your spool peel off in 3 seconds will tend to warm you up though [Wink]. It certainly gets my blood moving.
[signature]