Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing tales
we've all heard them and sometimes questioned their validity. I've heard some pretty outlandish stories and maybe told a few.

I would like to hear the most outlandish stories you've been told (true or not) I think it would be best to keep names out though.

d
[signature]
Now you all know I had to get in on this one. Since fish seem to get bigger the longer they prosper in my memory I'll start with the most recent trip of note. Jmig and I took off for a few days last summer to go to Vancouver for a little fishing. We went out with Capt (NAMED LEFT BLANK IN CASE THE CANADA DNR READS THIS), on a beautiful 36ft Ocean Yacht. We had hooked up our first Spring (Canadian name for Chinook Salmon) about an hour in the trip. I wanted JMIG to have the whole Canada experience so we were using knucklebusters, a single action reel very similar to a fly reel, but much bigger. Our mate Omar (the fishing terrorist) was busy coaching JMIG on the finer points of fighting fish with K/Bs. Since JMIG had never caught a fish this big, let alone used a K/B, Omar was earning his tip. On it's initial run the Spring quickly stripped 200+ yards of the 20# mono off the reel, after about 25 minutes of give and take JMIG had gained back about 150 yards. I was watching the whole thing having an ice cold Molson Canadian with the pride a father feels watching his kid. JMIG isn't one of my kids, he can't be, he doesn't owe me any money. Anyway, just when the fish looks to be more tired than JMIG is, he takes off on a run that Giant Blue Fins would envy. This thing is screaming out line like we just hooked a missile. Suddenly, Omar grabs the reel, cups his hands around it and cranks down the drag. Of couse the line snaps and JMIG and I are standing in the cockpit too stunned to speak. Omar sets down the rod, looks over at me, points out the back and says "seal" Still stuned from what this moron did, and thinking I had made a terrible mistake chartering these guys, I meekly look behind the boat and there it is. A big ass Harbor Seal eating JMIGs 35 pound Spring. The storys not over. Since the Capt hates to loose fish as much as I do, he whips out a .22 pellet pistol and starts firing away at the seal. We then try to run over the seal, all attemps at recovering JMIGs first Spring fail. Not to be outdone by a seal, the Capt takes out a handfull of M-80s attached to sinkers and we begin to systematiclly depth charge the offending seal, like we were hunting U-Boats in the North Atlantic in 42. JMIG caught 5 more salmon that day, he did finally get a big one to the boat with Omars expert instruction. And as for me........I spent the day with a Molson in one hand, and a .22 pellet pistol in the other. Although they stalked us all day, we lost no more fish to Seals, and I have to say it was the most pure fun I had fishing in a long time and I didn't catch a thing.

IFG