Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chefwhofishes, You Mentioned Noodling?
A couple weeks ago, Chefwhofishes did a post about noodling. A friend just sent me these pics of some friends noodling flathead cats in Oklahoma. Wow. I didn't know flatheads got this big. Just thought I'd share pics that only anglers could truly enjoy. Just imagine hand grabbing one of these beasts. It would take some mighty big dough BALLS. LMAO

Good Fishing, Kayote

[Image: l35446.jpg]

[Image: m35447.jpg]

[Image: l35445.jpg]

[Image: l35444.jpg]
[signature]
HOLY SH!/, Those cats weigh twice as much as that guy! You should get him to visit our site. I would love to hear some of his stories! What are the lengths, weights of those monsters? Noodling is definitely an extreme sport!
[signature]
I got the same pictures earlier this week and was going to post them also, I'm glad you beat me to it. I still have not figured out how to post pictures yet without help. WH2
[signature]
[cool]I think somebody is pulling your chain. Those are not flatheads from Oklahoma. Those are the big catfish from Europe, known as "wels". They reach weights of a couple hundred pounds or more. And, nobody catches them by "noodling". But, there are a lot of catmen in Europe who pursue them with heavy tackle and handlines.

There are some big flatheads in Oklahoma and several other southern states, but a forty pounder is a big one to handle with just your hands. They are powerful and they can strip the skin from your hands. But, there are plenty of guys with more guts than brains who enjoy the hand to fin combat of wrestling flatheads out of hollow logs and undercut banks.

Check this link and click on some of the pics. See if those fish do not more closely resemble the pics posted above than they do flatheads. [url "http://xvella.free.fr/"]http://xvella.free.fr/[/url]
[signature]
As I said before. That is just nuts! Those fish could swallow me whole!

Dough!?! These guys must have elephantitus.
[signature]
Tube,

I think you're right. I thought a 6o pound flathead was supposed to be a huge one. If you notice the green looking one, there is a huge mountain in the background. Isn't OK mostly flat. Oh well, cool pics anyway.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
[cool]What's the highest peak in Oklahoma? A speedbump.

I wasn't even looking at the mountains. I was looking at the heads of the fish and the long snaky bodies. The back ends on those European cats are more like eels.

A 60 pound flathead IS a big one. Although several state records are bigger than 70, and I think they have been taken commercially over 100. Wherever they are found a big flathead is a tough customer. They are especially active in warm water and feed on live food,..like whole sunfish, bass, suckers, carp and other catfish. If they are trapped in a hole with other fish, by dropping water, they will be the only survivor by the time the water rises again.

Flatheads feed mostly at night, but will sometimes be taken during the day on baits or lures being fished for other fish too. A lot of big ones are taken by bassers casting big crankbaits or jigs. Here is a pic of a 30 pound flathead I caught on crappie gear and a small jig...and 6# line. If flatheads got as big as those European cats, I wouldn't want to go float tubing in the same waters.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage0032077.jpg]
[signature]
I can say oklahoma has some bigger mountains than anyone wants to hike, i know cuz we hiked them in boot camp. But I do know those are not flatheads and they certainly didnt noodle them. Hehe thanks for pointing that out tube i was just about to when i read your next post. some big ol cats though. after reading mutiple sites on the wels cats i have wanted to travel to europe and give it a go. someday someday.
[signature]
The highest point in Oklahoma is Black Mesa, 4,973', and the starting elevation of the hike is 4,319. And the biggest objective danger on the hike is rattlesnakes.

Enich, am I going to have to start calling you Xwimp?
[shocked]
Tube Dude,
I saw these same pics a couple of weeks ago on another board. There was quite a bit of discussion about whether they were wels or not. I don't know if they are or not, but I think they were caught "noodling" either way. In all of the pictures you don't see a hook, line, rod, gaf, net, tail rope, or any other means of catching these monsters. In three of the four pics, the guy is in the water with the fish. And in each one of those the guys are wet to their necks. And they are wearing gloves. Maybe the Europeans just jump in with their catch at the end of the fight, and remove the hook before they snap a photo. Or they've gone to great lengths to fool us all. I could be wrong, but it looks like noodling to me.

Fishrmn
[cool]I have "noodled" myself, and I did not wear a hat while noodling, nor did my hair and upper clothes stay dry. In truth, on each of the two relatively small flatheads I wrestled to the surface, I looked like a bloody mud pie.

Most sensible anglers (if there are any) wear gloves when handling big fish. The difference is that flathead noodlers do not wear gloves, because it lessens the sensitivity to feeling what is going on in the murky water. They have to be able to tell the difference between a catfish, a turtle or a water moccasin. Then, they have to be able to tell which way the fish is pointed, so they can grab it's lower jaw. Wearing gloves while you are doing all that decreases your chances greatly, But not wearing gloves costs you a lot of skin off your grabbin hand.

Those are posed pictures, in the style of the European macho men. Here is a link to an Italian Catfishing website. Several of the pics posted above are on that site...exactly the same...including the smiling Italian gentleman wearing the funky hat. [url "http://www.pescare.com/siluro/Album/tutto_webmaster1.htm"]http://www.pescare.com/siluro/Album/tutto_webmaster1.htm[/url]

Now, is there still a dispute?
[signature]
haha cmon now dennis no low blows. in fort sill we had a hill called the widowmaker. it was a 40% vert with a increase of 1,500 feet elevation over 3/4 of a mile. tell me thats whimpy????? see waht topos do for ya thoughg turn me into a lier haha.
[signature]