Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your preference?
[font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]Lets say there are two bodies of water right next to each other where a hatch is in progress on one and not the other. Which one would you prefer to fish? i.e. Wet or dry. My preference is dry and yours is?[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
...Id prefer to fish the one that gives me the best odds of catching fish.. now.. the wet or dry.. or you talking about me getting to the shoreline "dry".. and then later being clumsy and falling in the water and getting "wet"?????

...but seriously.. Id choose the one with the hatch on.. and Id try both wet and dry.. dry for the flies that have made it to the surface.. and wet.. for the ones still on the bottom emerging..

also Id keep an eye on the other body of water.. just in case it decided to follow suit ... then Id call you over and let you fish one while I fish the other... [Image: fish-on.gif]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[center][cool][font "Pristina"][green][size 4]Hey there Mi Amigo - by chance are you runnimg for political office? LOL[Image: fish-on.gif][/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
how did you know??? [sly]
[signature]
[font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]Now that we have established your intent, I will cast my vote for you if you promise to stock the lower Santa Ana River that runs through Yorba Linda with bows in the 18" range. The heck with the Govt paying my mortage, catching reasonable size trout is my main concern.[Wink][Image: fish-on.gif][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I would go with the hatch one also. Shows hungry fish and like Mac said that doesn't mean they are down deeper. I love to dry fly fish. Nothing better in the world.
But I also would be tempted to throw on a Chironomid under an indicator and go for the no hatch lake.

But still, nothing better than sight fishing! Except if you can see them swim up to you FLIES only to turn the other way[laugh]
[signature]
couldnt you drop the chrom under the dry and try both... or is that what you just said.. [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
.... as one of my constituents.. you have my solemn promise that I will do everything that I can to accomodate you needs and wants as to the location and virility of the aforementioned waters and species therein.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
The problem with that is, I would want to use smaller dries there for lightly weighted small nymphs, pupas, emergers, chironomids under it to keep the dry afloat, plus dropper length. Now if I was using a big old foam dry, you bet, but still could max out depth around 9' or the length of the rod. In other words, reach the fish with the dry against the tip top due to the fact it won't move.

Where as with a breakaway indicator, I could go much deeper if needed (a foot off the bottom thing)

One style works top to bottom, the other bottom up.
[signature]
which.. if either.. would you use your cased caddis with??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Probably neither, it is more a moving water fly, but I guess you could bounce it off the bottom of stillwater.
[signature]
now.. correct me if I am wrong.. but isnt that cased caddis suppose to be the fly emerging.. and if that is the case wouldnt that also be a good source of interest for the fish.. in this case they do not have to show themselves as they would in the top water area going after the flies themselves after they have emerged from the pupae... ??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
cased caddis roll along the bottom.
Have you seen this:
http://www.fba.org.uk/recorders/publicat...cycle.html
[signature]
[center][cool][font "Pristina"][green][size 4]Thanks for the link FGD.[/size][/green][/font] [/center]
[signature]
I was on the water today hatch started about 3 and i never saw any rise caught all below surface
[signature]