Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waders for Tubing
[black][size 3]Now I remember why I quit tubing several years ago. My new Super Fat Cat is still on its way in the mail, but I decided to try on my old Hodgdon neoprene waders. It takes me about 10 minutes just to get into them, and even longer to get out of them, and I'm about out of breath by that time. Maybe they're just too small for me, but they seem pretty tight. SO.... guess it's time for some new waders. Are the new breathable waders easier to get on and off? Are there advantages or diSadvantages in using them for tubing? If I can easily slip them on and off, and they work great for tubing, then I'm off to buy some of those. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.[/size][/black]
[signature]
[black][size 3]TubeDude, I just found your epistle on waders and boots for tubing, which was a great read, but I guess I'm still stymied. I need to get either some larger neoprenes (that Made In Taiwan thing I guess) or go with breathables, but I don't want to spend more than $150 on them. My neoprenes are Large so maybe Extra Large would do the trick. Couldn't be I've swollen up over the years. You've definitely made me leery of the breathable ones, and I do like neoprene OK. Thanks for your advice. [Wink]
[/size][/black]
[black][size 3] [/size][/black]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]If your budget only allows one set of waders, spend as much as you can on a good pair of lightweights, with neoprene feet. Swallow your silly pride and get them larger than you really need, so that you can add a couple of layers without passing out from lack of oxygen.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Don't get Hodgman Wadelites. Junk. But, if you want a set of inexpensive neoprenes, the Hodgmans are okay.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I use both light and neoprene throughout the year, and tube "wet" (no waders) as soon as water temps get a bit above about 65.`[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is a biological fact that all of our clothes shrink as WE get older. But, there is no good excuse for having waders that are too small to hold the layers to keep you warm.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I use a pair of Cabelas brethables and love them. I use to have an older pair of Neos when it was pretty much one size fits all, but niw it seams that they make um for us guys that are not the typical girth of a small oriental child.

Majja
[signature]
I haven't wore Neoprene for probably 15 years. I haven't changed in size, I just HATE neoprene and don't see the need in them myself. I fish YEAR ROUND (rivers in the winter) and don't notice any advantage to neo, You sweat in them, they are thicker and harder to move it and don't fold up that small.
I wear chest high breathables. In the winter I wear WOOL socks (but lets be honest, the foot is neoprene in both so there might be a little sweating there) Then I wear Thin Skin Long johns, a fleece bib, long sleeve t-shirt and a wool jacket. Really cold I wear my wading jacket which is the same material as my waders and will block the wind. I have fished at midnight in Idaho Thanksgiving weekend and was as warm as I could get. Plus it was easy to move in.
Summer time in breathables, just fold the chest down and wear them as waist highs (advantage to a pontoon, HIPPERS)
Check L.L. Bean, or Cabela's, they both have reasonable prices Breathables. I have had bad luck with Hodgeman, so I just don't go there.
[signature]
Hodgeman sucks get a pair of breathables I started with a pair of orvis they lasted 5 years of around 200 days per year I used them for work and fishing (sprinklers). You can find some nice breatables around 150-200 I bought some simms last year, alot more money but I think they are well worth it alot more comfy than neopreme no sweating. check out orvis ll bean cabellas try them on and see whats more comfortable for you . In other words I'd say save up what you can and get something that will last you for a long time.
[signature]
I found the Cabela's Guidewear waders on sale at Cabela's for $179.95, reg. $229.95, so I grabbed the last pair in my size. They're easy on, easy off and I think I'll like them alot. Thanks guys for the sugestions. Now if the fishing will just pick up.... [crazy]
[signature]
In really cold weather where the water is going to be very cold I will drop either a chem hand warmer or foot warme inbetween layers of socks and my feet stay warm as can be. Even in really cold water like 38 degree I only use a thin pair of sock liners, a handwarmer and than a pair of smartwool expedition weights.
[signature]