Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morrow Point/Black Canyon
am thinking about spending 2 to 3 days up there when i come home in a few weeks. was looking for some basic info. i know the hike down to the Black Canyon is a real "treat" if you will, but from what i have read its some amazing fishing. i would go up to Taylor, but after spending some time in WA combat fishing, thats just not my bag. that being said how easy is foot access in the canyon. what are some favorites for fishing down there? ill be bringing both my flyrod and spin rod, and of course my CO state proclimation =-)

as far as Morrow Point go's, is it worth fishing? i have read a few things here and there but what i read mainly is about a guided tour of the lake. any info is appreciated!
[signature]
What you have read in your magazine articles is probably the only info that you are going to get. Asking for help on the Colorado board is like trying to pry a 450 lb poor woman off a free box of Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Hate to sound negative but you hardly see a report on here (Colorado Board), they have four moderators in which you only hear from two of them and one of them I believe is a 10 year old kid!!![Smile]
TS
[signature]
haha! and to think i was going to try to convience you to hike down the canyon with me. your on your own getting back up.
[signature]
I see we have another typically helpful post from trout_slayer. Thanks for a contribution of your usual hepfulness, TS.

kochanut-

I have fished the Black Canyon a couple of times. (It's a long haul for me over here on the other side of the Great Divide.) The primary access is down the Chukar Trail. It's steep and a lot of work coming back up. You can also access the lower end from around Pleasure Park and work your way up. I'll see if I can get my buddy bobco to chime in. He hales from over there and has fished the Gunny and Morrow point a fair amount. He even had rigged up a hand-wheel boat to take down the trail to Morrow Point a couple years ago. The tales I hear from Morrow point are of lots of really good fish, but I haven't made the hike down to it.

The Gunnison through the Black Canyon is now primarily a brown trout fishery as the rainbows were pretty much decimated by whirling disease over the last decade or so. Lots of fish, and some very good fish. For the big fish folks primarily fish nymphs, buggers, big streamers, tubes, twister tail grubs and your standard Rapala type crankbaits. Flows vary widely and are completely dependent on how much water they're letting out of Blue Mesa. This is going to be a year of long and heavy runoff over there.

Hope this is of some help.
[signature]
TS and i are related. hes pissed hes stuck in UT.... wait thats still a little (but not alot) better then where im at
[signature]
It would be hell to be marooned among Utards! [Tongue]
[signature]
Have never been there but did find a little bit of info online.

[url "http://www.nps.gov/blca/"]http://www.nps.gov/blca/[/url]
[url "http://folbotforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2201"]http://folbotforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2201[/url]

I have fished the Gunnison River just outside Gunnison and did pretty well nymphing, but that was probably 4 years ago so I don't really have any details.

Both places sound like an adventure to down in to though.
[signature]
It's probably because people get turned off because every thread has a negative comment by you (even you don't live here). Do us a favor and stick to posting your negativity in the Utah boards.

"[size 1]Hate to sound negative" - [/size][size 2]Thats a joke...[/size]
[signature]
Tell me is it the negativity or the FACTs that are cutting the deepest? You say people dont post because I reply negative comments to every thread. Well that is funny because I have only commented on three threads, so if I comment on ALL the threads that that must be a FACT what I said about how pathetic it is to see nobody posting reports on here. I visit Colorado frequently and I AM from there. I just think it is Sad that there is not more people on the Colorado side of BFT, with such a great fishery that Colorado provides you would think there would be more people talking about it. You have four moderators in which you hear some good input from Don and nothing but questions from Jason, where are the other two?
TS
[signature]
TS-

We do what we can. Thanks for the kind words. Just FYI, Jason is in BFT administration and loves to fish, but doesn't have as much experience in Colorado as some of us, so he helps where he can and asks questions to spur discussion.

The other two "moderators" haven't even logged on to BFT for a year or so. I don't know why they're still listed as moderators.

I know I would welcome any positive contributions you can make to the discussions. The lids are comin' off and the fishin's heatin' up!
[signature]
I haven't forgotten you, kochanut-

I have a friend who has guided on Morrow Pt. Res. He's going to sign up and give you some more info. It's worth fishing!
[signature]
Hey Kochanut,
As of today, 3-25-08, Morrow Point and Blue Mesa Reservoirs are still enduring winter. I don't know when you plan on being here, but I would guess that these reservoirs won't ice out for at least 2-3 more weeks if not longer. That being said, there is still plenty of open water to be fished in the river section of Morrow Point. You can access this section by the Pine Creek Trail, which is right behind Blue Mesa Dam. There's probably 1-2 miles of open water that will be accessible to you. There are plenty of browns, rainbows, lakers, and an occasional salmon in this section. The BOR has been releasing a lot of water from Blue Mesa to make way for a BIG spring run off this year due to all the snow we got this winter. Your best bet to fish when the water isn't raging is in the EARLY morning; however, this will not always hold true. Fish can still be caught when water is being released, you just have to adjust your presentation. If you plan on fishing the res once you're sure the ice is off, let me know.
Fisher4ever
[signature]
Thanks Fisher4Ever! Nice to have you on here! Thanks for signing up to help us out, Robby!
[signature]
sweet! i fly out of germany in about 19 days, thanks for the info cant wait!
[signature]
No problem, good luck!
[signature]