Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass Fishing Bait Caster Reels
Ok guys I'm looking to get myself a good bait casting reel for some smallmouth fishing this year. I'm asking for some suggestions on a good reel. Price range up to about $ 150.00.

Thanks
AFDan52
[signature]
Always use Abu Garcia since 1970 can't go wrong.
[signature]
Thanks, Funny I was just looking at the REVO.
[signature]
curado if you are determined to spend 150, others that are great values that I have experience with

Daiwa Exceler
Daiwa Megaforce

Lots of folks going toward that revo, but the curado I rarely hear complaints about.

That being said, there is nothing I need a baitcasting reel for in UT - most all the fishing I do is on spinning tackle for the same targets you are after.
[signature]
I prefer Shimano reels. The citica is a good one for about $120. The castaic is better for around $160.
[signature]
Buy a Shimano Curado NOW! They're $200 with a $50 rebate. Or a Citica...$120 with a $30 rebate. Both are awesome reels. Check out the 100 and 200 sizes and see which one feels better to you, I prefer the 100's since they're smaller and lighter.
[signature]
If you are going to dropshot/worm fish with it go "palm" a few on a rod to see what fits or is comfortable. The profiles on some reels will not be comfortable if you worm fish a lot and I have several that are relegated to throwing plugs only. [cool] Garcia, Shimano, Diawa all are great reels. A reel with 5.0+ retrieve ratio should do anything you want except turn the afterburners on a spinner\buzz bait.
[signature]
Thanks guys, there is a lot of very good information here. Just what I am looking for.

AFDan52
[signature]
what is it about a baitcaster that you think you will be getting over a spinning outfit?
[signature]
I'm not really sure, if you have some information that I can use Educate me please.
[signature]
Great reels and smooth.
[signature]
Dan, I guess my question to you is how exactly are you going to use it? Jigging, Flippin lures, Trolling?

I would recommend spending all 150 and maybe a touch more and Go with Shimano. You will not regret spending the extra dollars for it.

Others will work just fine. I have both. Shimano is head and shoulders above the rest
[signature]
Hi Mark, not planning on trolling with these. Probably start off Jigging and work from there.
[signature]
Dan,

I have Abu garcias, I have Quantums and Shimanos. They all work good. However the drag system and Bearing system in the Shimanos is far superior to anything else.

Enjoy.
[signature]
id definintly buy a curado if your gonna spend the money
[signature]
All the reels listed are great reels and you could like any of then but before you buy go down and put each one you like on a pole and see how they feel to you then get the highest reel speed that it comes in...

Bait cast reels are made for line 10lb and over fresh water spinning reels work best for 10lb line and lighter, and bait casters will not twist your line like a spinning reel will...
[signature]
The biggest advantage I see for using a bait caster over a spinner is that you can (with mush practice) stop the cast on a dime. You might be able to do that with a spinner but it is very difficult. You will need to use a heavier lure than on a spinner, but the added weight gives more distance on the cast. The other advantage I have found for the bait caster is the faster retrieve give most lures a better action. You need a faster retrieve than what the spinners give. I'm am no expert, but this is what I have found.
[signature]
Somebody said something about palming the reel. Important for working plastics when there is a light bite. I prefer low profile reels just for that reason. Each reel has a different feel, I like the way the Quantums fit in my hand but my next buy is going to be a citica for the casting cranks, just my two cents.
[signature]
[#800000]I see more and more bass fishers on the fishing shows using spinning reels with all the new braids that are out ........Hmm.[/#800000]
[signature]
There is a new company since 2006 called Ardent Reels. They are out of Macon, Missouri. Their reels are absolutely 100% MADE IN USA. Every component is hand manufactured at their plant in Macon. The reels are titanium lined, are aluminum and steel, and magnesium components for superior durability. If you are willing to spend $200-240 dollars, you will get a reel that will last a lifetime without any trouble. As soon as I have money, this is what I will buy. You can get some of their models at Sportsman's Warehouse and Cabelas, don't know about Fishtech Outfitters or Big5 Sporting Goods.

Here is their website: [url "http://www.ardentoutdoors.com/default.asp"]ArdentOutdoors.com[/url]

Buy local and USA, its the only way to go. With all the foreign products, one day they might even change the national anthem to some foreign one. Seriously, it is getting very hard to find quality domestic good old fashioned craftsmanship. Yes, old fashioned, as in good!
[signature]