Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pueblo Res/River below the dam
i finally got to come home from overseas and do some fishing. the old man and i decided to hit the Res since its less then 10 minutes from his house. we ran all the way up to Turkey Creek to try and find the crappie hiding in the brush, and maybe a lucky walleye. water temp was 49 at 0900, and it was a nice day all in all. around 1030 the old man hooks and lands a 12 lb........ carp! we were tossing stump jumpers into the brush. aside from his carp i had one hit and thats it. around 1pm we were fishing the hump off the old highway and call it a day since the wind kpt kicking up.

went home ate dinner and decided to hit the river below the dam. to a piece of split shot and a night crawler and just bumped the bottom. nothing close to the spillway so i went down to the first parking lot past the check in station. first cast, BAM! 14inch rainbow. nothing huge but man was it fun. i hooked him on the other side of the river and since the water is up he fought me in the current. few more casts, a hit here and there, then my last cast of the day, another rainbow, this one about 12inchs. both were caught right under the cable car. all in all a great first day of fishing. tomorrow im heading up to Valley Brdge in the Arkansas river canyon, and monday either the dream stream or roaring fork, not sure yet but will post when i get home tomorrow night [crazy]
[signature]
Thanks! Do you guys ever catch any walleyes or wipers below the dam at Pueblo?? I've been tempted to come give that a shot.
[signature]
in all the years i have fished below the res i have never caught a wiper, but i have caught one walleye about 8 years ago. i stopped by there this afternoon and talked to one of the rangers. he says the after bay (the still water below gates 2,3,and 4 ) hold tons of walleye but are hard to fish because of the unperdictability of water flows.
[signature]