Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spinney/Elevenmile/dream stream/eleven mile canyon
so i went up to spinney to fish the dream stream and took some photos. i heard a rumor that spinney might open saturday. eleven mile still has alot of ice on it as you can see from the pics, but cross creek was open and the bank tanglers were out in force. i also got me a new fishing buddy as you will see in the pics. this damn thing followed me for about an hour.

onto the report.

first, what a great day to go ishing, save the wind.

Dream Stream: fished it from about 0715 until 1030. nothing, nadda, zilch. the wind blew me off the river around 1030'ish so i decided to hit the canyon. on a side note there were a few guys below me throwing small tube jigs on spinning rods and having a little bit of luck.

Eleven Mile Canyon. I started at eleven mile park, where the foot bridge is. i only went up as far as springer gulch and counted 12 people fishing including myself. i decided i would try something different. i started with a copper john in the deep pool above the bridge. as usual nothing. so i said, what the hell lets try a San Juan worm, red to be exact. first cast BAM! i knew i had a nice fish. i had it in my hand and the hook cam un-buttoned. the second i looked up after the hook came off the fish flipped in my hand and off he went. i would make a guess saying he was close to 19 inches and a good 3 to 4 pounds. im still hitting myself for not tossing it on the bank the second i had him in my hands, but Trout_Slayer says if you touch it, it counts as a catch. i must have hooked close to 30 fish down in the canyon, working various spots. either a red san juan worm, or a green copper john. thing is i would get these fish within three to four feet of me and they would come undone. i have to be doing something wrong. the one i had in my and was by far the biggest. the canyon was pretty well protected from the wind, but a gust came up here and there. everyone else i had stopped and talked to had not had any luck what so ever.

i came home early because of a little rumor i heard about Taylor. so it turns out im getting up at about 0230 and driving all the way up there to find out if its true. im also thinking about hitting the frying pan wends. ill post reports on where ever i go while im still in the states. i hope the pictures resize themselves.
[signature]
Thanks for the report, kochanut! Sounds like you had the canyon dialed in today.

Was there open water on Spinney yet??
[signature]
the shore was and the inlet was. from what im hearing, and this is all just rumor i heard from someone who is.... shall we say.... well connected, they are opening spinney saturday for bank tanglers and float tubers. no boats on spinney until all the ice is gone. you can call the Chaparral Park General Store at 719-836-0308 friday afternoon and they will give you confirmation on weather it will open saturday or not. they also have a website, but i havent even looked at it:

[url "http://www.chaparralparkgeneralstore.com"]www.chaparralparkgeneralstore.com[/url]
[signature]
Sounds like it might happen this weekend at Spinney, then, especially if they're getting some of the wind we have had down here today.

I think I'll try to stretch the ice fishing season one more week. Late ice is great ice! LOL
[signature]
scratch the fryingpan. im heading to Horseshoe in Walsenburg wendsday. gunna fish the back shallows near the ramp and around the island and see if i can hook me a nice tiger. would be fun as hell to catch one of those on a fly rod but have no idea what to use ( i posted in the fly fishing forum), anyway ill let ya know what happens at Taylor tomorrow. its 6pm and time for bed!
[signature]
Good luck, kochanut! When you hit Horseshoe, I've heard reports lately of real nice smallmouth on jerkbaits along the dam. There are some beasts in there. Someone posted a pic on here a couple of years ago of a smallmouth from there that might have been a new state record if he had kept it.
[signature]
Nice. Good report and even better day huh! I'm jealous of all your reports! I'm stuck in UT with no fishing poles! But I will be down at Spinney in my tube the first weekend of May! Thanks for the updates.
[signature]
speaking of which, the rangers say spinney opens next wensday.
[signature]