Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bass fishing line?
All my life I have been a die hard trout fisherman, up until the last few years of fishing for bass. When I first started bass fishing I used my trout polls which held up fine. At the beginning of the year, I bought a baitcasting combo, and put 14lb fireline on it. I am not totally satisfied with the line, because it has begun to fray and it also turns my fingers black. I have also noticed that I lose casting distance from mono line. The pros are that it is strong, and doesn't stretch out. also, the diameter is very fine which allows for more line on my reel. I am in the market for new line, whether it be mono, fluoro or braided. what would be a good choice to go with now? I fish all sorts of water, weedy shallow water, to deep rocky ponds. other lines I am considering are powerpro, sufix, and vanish.
[signature]
All braids will fray a little. The reason I personally do not like Fireline is the fact that it's very wirey and hard to keep tight on a spool. If your Fireline turns your hands black then you bought smoke color; you should have bought clear.

Power Pro is nice and soft compared to Fireline. I'd say PP is a little more prone to fraying. I prefer Power Pro as my braid of choice. It's not a miracle line, but it is lots of people's favorite for one reason or another.

Spiderwire Stealth is pretty similar to PP, soft, zero stretch, quiet through the guides. It's also cheaper.

I can't recommend a fluorocarbon because I've never used any. Gamma copolymer is nice for monofilament.
[signature]
I've used Fireline for years as well as power pro. Drop down to 8 or 10lb on your braid and you will be alot happier. For Floracarbon I like p-line.
[signature]