Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bluegill
[size 1]In an effort to help each other get on the fish, we will be adding a series of posts entitled by the type of fishing we are targeting and would like all users who wish to include their "favorite way to catch these fish", "favorite spots" (doesn't have to be exact), "favorite guides for these fish", "tackle tips", "recommended tackle", "beginner tips", "boating techniques" or any other information you feel would be helpful to other anglers targeting this type of fish.

[size 1]For State Record Information Please visit:[/size]

[#333366][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/records/"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/records/[/url][/#333366] [/size]
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
[font "Arial"][size 2]For bluegills try using a beetle spin but cut a small piece of fish and put it on the hook. It will help to add scent to the bait and make fish take it better.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Bluegill "Lepomis macrochirus " gills

Identifying characteristics: Two dorsal fins with spinous and soft-rayed portions united, small mouth, long pointed pectoral fins, faint black spot on soft-rayed part of dorsal fin separates the bluegill from other sunfish, which lack this dorsal coloration.

The sunfish family, or Centrarchidae, includes such popular panfish as bluegills, rock bass and large and smallmouth bass. The members of this family resemble the perch and sea bass families, but they differ in that the sinous and soft portions of the dorsal fin are united and confluent. The large mouth bass is an exception, with a deep notch between the front and rear parts of the dorsal fin.

The Centrarchidae generally prefer warm water, and are nesting fishes. That is, the males scoop out a depression where one or more females deposit eggs. The males then fertilize and guard the eggs and the newly hatched young. The bluegill is a native to eastern and central North America . This fish enjoys a well-deserved popularity with anglers. Bluegills favor warm waters (64 to 70 degrees F) with plenty of cover such as weed beds, submerged logs, or drop-offs. They usually stay in relatively shallow water, but as temperatures rise in the summer, large bluegills will head for deeper water. This fish also provides good winter sport since it remains active all winter long.

The bluegill spawns in the shallows in the late spring or early summer when the water temperature reaches 65 degrees F. Males build nesting colonies in gravel, sand or mud and will guard the eggs and newly hatched fry until they reach the swimming stage. The young fry eat algae and zooplankton. As they grow larger, bluegills add small fish, aquatic insects and plant matter to their diet. The bluegill feeds off the surface of the water the midwaters and the bottom, where it can be a serious competitor with other bottom feeding fish. The average adult bluegill is 6 to 8 inches long, although some reach 10 inches. Sexual maturity occurs at 2 to 3 years for males and 3 to 4 years for females. Average life-span of these fish is 5 to 6 years.

for winter and spring - wax-worms worh the best 2' below a bobber with a small splitshot sinker 1/2 the way down , summer and fall the same set-up with leafworms .
[signature]
Anyone know a good fly for these suckers?
[signature]
Blue Gill is just one species of a family of sunfish which includes the warmouth bass, red ear, pumpkin seed, green sunfish, deep water roach.

one of the easer fish to catch but also one of the most taistest of fresh water fish as well.

this is my preferd fish above all the rest.

I do well on them year round, but my tip will be for fishing through the ice.

you want to be sure you do not venture on thin ice (any thing less than 3 inches and check it every few feet.)

I use a 1/8 ounce jig and fish waters from 10 - 18 feet in depth.

I tip my jig with a waxworm.

I constantly wiggle my jig.

some days are better than others, the only days I dont like to fish on the ice is when there is blowing snow from hevy winds. I hate having to constantly clean my my hole.

the hole diamiter needs to be a minimum of 4 inches altough I seldom use anything less than 6 inches but I prefer a 12 inch hole because it allows me to use my dipper as a net to pull the fish out of the hole with out breaking my line. [center][Image: MESS3307CustomImage2243878.jpg] [/center]
[signature]
I've caught a lot of bluegills on a Mosquito,Royal Coachmans & wulffs mostly attractor patterns a couple years ago I fished a pond near my home and got a hit on anything with feathers and/or fur, that pond had only 3inch bluegill but it was great fun watchin the bluegills swim up close to the fly then suddenly grab it. Also small like 1/64 ounce jigs with some marabou and a little flashabou tied on works great on the fly rod or under a clear plastic bubble.
[signature]
I will make an atempt to show as many different species of the gill family as I can, You are welcome to show off your gill pic's as well, [center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=254;][/center] [center]this one is a long eared sunfish[/center] [center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=211;][/center] [center]this one is a green sunfish[/center]
[signature]
[center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage178155.jpg][/center][center]Warmouth bass, yep this is a sunfish/gill family not a bass[/center]
[signature]
the best tips for catching them gills is noot so much what you use but where you use it.

in the spring fish for them in the canals and shallow waters, then follow them out to deeper waters as the temps worm. mid and late summre you may find your self fishing as deep as 20 feet. this is where them 15-20 foot cane poles will come in handy.
this is not a vary good picture as far as color goes, but you can see the body shape, the color is a dark blue almost purple. [center] [Image: MESS6438CustomImage1794253.jpg][/center] [center]Deap Water Roache[/center]
[signature]
[center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage1802944.jpg][/center][center]sory about the flash glair, [/center] [center]the gill on the blue gill is acutaly an aqua merian to blue in color and is the largest of the gill/sunfish family. I have them as big as 14 inches but they are reported to getting as big as 17 inches.[/center]
[signature]