Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headed to the Gorge in Wy.
[fishin] Never caught a Mack over 7lbs so I may spend a little time trying. Anyone have a tip for catching 25 lbs's. I will save all the big 40lbs's for the more experienced.I will jig for them if I see them but I don't know where to start looking. I've caught a few in 60' of water in channels but they have all been small. Should I look deeper for the bigger ones or just find deep structure in a certain range. Maybe I need to hold my mouth crooked or not Smile so much.(hard not to Smile while on the gorge) I will be camping around Buckboard and like to stay that end of the lake. I troll a lot with the down riggers but have only caught a 7lb'er. I C&R 99% of the fish I catch just because I don't catch many walleyes. I will post a few pic's when i get back. Any help will be greatly appreciated. (Even like don't forget the sunscreen dummy)
[signature]
Are you strictly a C&R guy? When are you going?
[signature]
If its not a Walleye, Crappie or Brookie it goes back ASAP. I love to catch fish today and tomorrow. An old fish is valued and respected in my book. If I catch a fish that you let go ten years ago I feel that I would owe the next guy the same opportunity.(It just might be me again).What goes around comes around.
[signature]
going to be leave Longmont Friday night after work 6/27and staying til 7/6. I here there might be a tournement at Buckboard this weekend. Do you know if thats true.
[signature]
My buddies always tie into some big ones this time of year across from Lucerne at Mustang Ridge, jigging large tube jigs tipped with sucker meat. Seems there is a nice hump over there where the big ones sit, that's about all the infor I have. Good luck.
[signature]
A buddy of mine fishes the Gorge alot and usually does well there. He exclusively targets the big Mack's. He tells me that this time of year its best to use sonar and search in 60 - 80 ft of water near the mouth of a flat of less than 20 ft. When he spots them on the sonar, he marks the spot with a bouy and then jigs for them with 1 oz dark colored jigs tipped with a bit of cut bait. Hope this helps!

Good Luck, & Good Fishin',
[signature]
Thanks Guys. I will give it a try. I will let you know when I get back.
[signature]