Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to Plant Pike ???
If there is a lake like Johnson's with more than enough forage why would DWR not stock a great sport fish like the Pike in there?? They really should consider this - especially with the tiger situation....we need some BIG fish waters!!
maybe because the DWR dont want pike in fish lake? and nether do i! [mad]..

ya have to take in acount that the pike planted in any lake in that area are not confind to just that lake.. you would like to infest a whole system of lakes to clean chub out of one lake?
oh and BTW it would doom fish lake's lake trout as well.. now that it has started to show signs of being the mack fishery of old? pike are not the answer there.. tiger trout, splake, tiger musky are the best right now!
[signature]
Would love to see usky but they can not seem to get )non-VHS) eggs and the state is afraid of planting musky due to the reproduction and not being able to control them as easily.....
When we look at the total number of lakes in the state as a percentage that have trout vs bass/pike/musky it is very much a one sided equation....just would like to see this come to atleast closer to equilibrium.

I have been told there are pike in the green river but I seem to have a tough time finding info on where there are numbers in the state of pike (since we have very few musky). LOVE to catch these fish....It is just a rush to have a 40+" fish follow to the boat and turn away...little lone hook it and have a FIGHT ON! I have fished for trout extensively and just find it much less likely to hook a 15# trout in Utah than the likelyhood of hooking a 15# pike or musky if the lakes were 50/50 and it seems from a sportfishing standpoint most people prefer to target larger fish.
How about the idea of planting Kamloops rainbows in the Gorge or other Utah bodies of water - just a thought :-)
I wouldn't mind seeing pike planted to rid the lake of some chubs, but i think the muskies would be just as good or better. I know there are some large muskies in johnson, i've heard some upwards of 20 pounds but i can't confirm the truthfulness of that. There is probably plenty of muskies it's just that the chubs and other trash fish take refuge in those nasty weeds that are abundant in both Johnson and Fishlake. It's probably hard for the predators to run them down when there is so many places they can hide.
[signature]
For pike, try the Yampa (just across the border in Colorado outside of Vernal). It is a tributary of the Green and holds good numbers of large pike.
[signature]
well now thread has been hi-jacked..

there are pike in:
yuba
redmonds
recapture
green river
DAMD
Utah lake (planted years ago)
lake powell
there might be more that i dont know of..

tiger musky:
pineview
nowton
johnson
millmedow
fish lake
and some others i just cant rember right now..

yuba and pineview are your best shot for a big pike or musky and will allways be your best shot for some years!! so if ya want some of them big fish go and fish for them.. planting them somewhere else will not work out for years if ever..

BTW the lake trout in FG get 50+ the ones in fish lake range in the 20's to 30's the ones in bear-lake are in 20's + range to...

so there are big fish out there ya just need to put the time in and find them..
[signature]
Yampa River in Colorado, hear its world class.
[signature]
Yes indeed, got put that time in and figure their habits.
[signature]
ok well now that TD cut this thread out of the other one.. here is what i think.. i love pike fishing. and i to would like to see more pike in the state to..
BUT not at the expence of a whole water system.. there is no saying if pike will do good in any waters they are put in.. but once they are there they are very hard to get out!

gunnison res would be my first choice.. why because it flows right in to YUBA and there is nothing up streem that would take much of a hit.. lots of feed to.. big problem with gunnison is the water users sometimes drain to dry!

you will find there is not much water here in utah that pike could live in and grow big! yes they would survive but might not do realy good..

here is a realy good example! redmond
when the pike first showed up in redmond for the first 15 years or so they went off eating every thing in the lake and getting big. 14 to 16 lbs.. then all the food was gone now you go down there and you will catch 1 to 3 lbs pike and not much more than that... so yes you will get 10 to 15 years of great fishing then a life time of hamer handels.. is that what you would like to leve to your kidd's?
[signature]
i can confirm at lest 3 musky out of johnsons that were over 40" in the last 2 years... 1 i cought 2 my buddy cought.. they are tuff to find there but worth the trip.. and if ya get tired of casting for them ya can allways run down to fishlake and catch some dinner.. lol [sly]
[signature]