Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tigermuskie's found???
At a meeting tonight I heard that the new warm water hatchery ground breaking will be next week. The hatchery is going to be west of the Lee Kay Center and they have located some disease free White Bass and disease free Stripers so they can breed Wipers. They have found some disease free Northern Pike and Muskelunge that have so far checked out, and hopefully they will pass the disease free check. So they're hoping to begin breeding Wipers and Tigermuskie's as soon as the new complex is built. They figure they will have enough so they can have surplus to sell or trade to other states. There are plans in the works for more lakes to have Tigermuskies too.
[signature]
That is the BEST news I have heard all day!!! Tigers are LIFE - everything else is a "Feeder fish" - Smile
I am not an elitist - I do like bass, pike and even the trout....but really....it's tough not to wanna chase 50"+ fish.
I knew some one would be happy....[Wink][sly][fishin]
[signature]
vvery good news !!! thanks for sharing that. later chuck
[signature]
Happy days ahead-thanks for the news!
Gary
[signature]
Your welcome...
[signature]
That is great news, For us not knowing the Kay Lee Center were is this place and were is the fishery going to be, THANKS [Wink]
[signature]
quick question. what is the average growth of a tiger musky? im sure its all dependent upon its enviroment, as with any fish, but i mean, how big do they get in a hatchery before they are put into a lake?

maybe i asked that wrong.... when this place opens up, how long will it be before reared (or is it reered) fish are released into public waters?
[signature]
Great news.
[signature]

Clif, thanks for sharing the great news. Did they say how soon it will be up and operating?
[signature]
I have been told that at one year or 3"to 6" but most are 3", any bigger and they eat each other...
[signature]
The Lee Kay range is just off of US 201 and 5600 west, the hatchery is or will be just west of it...
[signature]
By spring I was told...I sure hope so ...
[signature]
You better not be pulling our chains Cliff. If indeed this is truth, it is awesome news. It's about time.[frown]
[signature]
I got it from Drew, so how true is he...
[signature]
Will Tigers eat Burbot, or would it be the other way around?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]They both eat anything that does not eat them first. However, they tend to occupy different levels in the water column...and food chain.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]And no you may not take your bucket to FG.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Here is a link to an article about the new hatchery in the Tribune:

[url "http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_10004599?source=rss"]http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_10004599?source=rss[/url]

Great news! Hope it gets built and running ASAP!!
[signature]
TD gave a better answer then I could....
[signature]
I guess the question would be would you rather fish for Tigers or Burbot. Which one is more destructive to the fishery as a whole? I wonder if anything like that is even being looked at on the Gorge? There seems to be a little panic in peoples voices when you talk about Burbot and what they could potentially due to the system in the Gorge if they continue to flourish.
[signature]