Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Lures for Monster largemouth
What are the best lures to use to catch monster Largemouth??? i cant seem to catch anything over three pounds and i was wondering what is the best lure to use when fishing either clear, stained, or muddy water. Please tell who makes them so when i see them i can know that they catch monster bass.[Wink] Any tips?
[signature]
I suggest flukes, they work in numerous situations, and have pulled in good sized bass for me a lot of 2-3 pounders and one 3-4 pounder. If flukes don't work out for you , try a "wacky" worm(also called trick worm). The flukes I use are "ZOOM" baits, and so are the worms. Then again, when bass fishing, you never know how big the fish will be, it's all up to chance.

Hope this helps,
Bassmasta
[signature]
I caught a 6 pound LMB on Chatterbait that I got at WalMart. Let me get the Brand name next time I go there and I'll tell you what its called. I've got more than my good share of fish on them.
[signature]
I wasn't getting a whole lot of luck with anything but white w/red traces spinnerbaits and a white/red chatterbait. Most of my luck has been with medium and large roach minnows. I'll stick one mouth hooked on a bobber by the cattails while I spin cast the other rod and about 85% of my hits come on the minnows. It was a slow year getting 2 or 3 a week until I started using the minnows and the season has just exploded, usually grabbing at least 8-10 bass in a 3 hour span 5 nights a week, about 1/3 of them over 3 lbs. It's a nice setup I recommend since the roaches work great and meanwhile I can spincast covering more area and keeping myself occupuied.
[signature]
Out here in Cali we normally use anything from 8in Brush Hawgs, Castaic Blue Gill, Castaic 10 or 12inch Trout, and the larger size Huddlestons.

What state are you in??[cool]
[signature]
Your chances are best in the spring during spawning and in the fall. Large bait = large fish holds some truth, but you just have to put your time in on the water to get that trophy. 6" mainiac worms have gotten me most of my bigger fish. So try a larger worm as well.
[signature]
Storm Kickin' Minnows have produced some big ones for me. I will only fish them where I know I can catch a biggun'. I've tried all sorts of stuff, as I'm sure we all have, sometimes I'll get bored and start mixing plastics to create something that a schooled bass has never seen before. I will use Pro's Soft-Bait Glue to glue together torn plastics that I've used. Last year I took about a half of a Senko and glued the rear end of a brush hog to it. It worked awesome last year, not so great this year [frown].
Lake Fork Tackle makes a Live Magic Shad that is freakin' awesome! I haven't used it yet where the bigguns are but I threw it out in a local pond to see what it fished like and lots of bass chasing it.
[signature]
WHOLE BLUEGILL![sly]
[signature]
i always have luck with rooster tails and chatter baits. i have been useing rooster tails for about six years now and they work every time.[cool]
[signature]
[quote lunkerhunter2]WHOLE BLUEGILL![sly][/quote]

True enough, I have seen some monsters hit those bluegill, just be careful you know the laws in your area. Most of the lakes around here are watched by the county and the wardens will occasionally (once a week or more sometimes) ask you to pull in your bait and check for this, $75 fine if you are using crawdads, frogs, bluegills, and other illegal live baits. It works, but be sure you know the regulations around you.
[signature]
Everything is illegal in this state.[crazy] The only "live" bait we can use is crawdads in the body of water where caught. You would get the death penalty for using live gills, or dead for that matter.[sly]
[signature]
that sucks!! it's nice you can use crawdads(if you find them) but you mean you can't even use fatheads or golden roaches? BOOOOO
[signature]
Nope, here in beautiful Utah we can use nightcrawlers[crazy] and craws (like said before, only from the water which caught. It is against the law to transport live crawdads from any water in UT). We can use mice if you want [Smile] but I have yet to go there. Interesting....
[signature]
Shaking a 8 to 10 inch worm on the bottom or making a racket on top of the water is were I catch my biggest bass...
[signature]
Heddon Zarra Spook all the way i have won 3 tournements on it.[fishin]
[signature]
I also had that problem out here in the bass capitol of the world. On day while returning from Bakersfield back to my home in Anaheim, I pulled off the road to check out Lake Castaic. I never made it to the lake proper because there is an Afterbay below the lake. There was a dock with some fishermen on it and I strolled on down there to survey the locals. Most were junior high and high school students fishing after school. After a little small talk the pictures started popping out. Ten pound bass after ten pound bass! Lots of them, in fact all of them had landed giant bass and some had caught many. Kids! At the time most were caught on four inch Sassy Shads made by Mr. Twister. I had fished my entire life for bass and had hooked and lost a few monsters by my biggest landed was seven pounds. Long story shorter, That day I caught three over eight pounds and they didn't even garner a yawn from the local kids. The point being that you have to fish where there are big bass in the first place. Then you have to fish with gear that you can land them with. Three days later I landed my first over ten. I was fishing a heavy seven and a half foot flipping stick with thirty pound spiderwire and a new bait at the time, an AC lure, the original trout lure. Good thing I had the Spiderwire or I'd of lost that fish for sure. She (all big bass are females) ran to the tules and I pulled her out, she ran for a buoy line and I stopped her a foot short. She rocked me and I was able to pull her out, the spiderwire was frayed, but held. What a Magnificent fish! The last point I'd like to make is that you have to fish for big bass and pass up the numbers of smaller fish that you are used to. This means fishing outside and deeper than you usually fish with heavier line. It means after getting hit and sticking a big fish, committing yourself to land that bad gal. Reel hard and control you fish best you can, drop your rod when she jumps. Keep your cool like a poker player. Have a huge landing net nearby( They don't fit in regular nets ). Keep a camera and take some pics and a tape to measure the girth and length. Good scales are tough to keep around and I finally bought a quality Baby scale to check my fish. Then let that girl go because she might be responsible for many of the Big Bass Genes in that body of water. Here are a couple of pics, one big bass, and my two most consistent big bass lures. A five in Tiki Worm rigged weedless wacky, and a Strike King Redfish Special Zulu fished with a small jighead or weedless hook for surface fishing, they float.
[signature]
Frog-colored hand grenades. [angelic]

Seriously, although there have been some good suggestions made, I take a diffrerent tack.

It isn't the lure, per se. It's knowning how to use, when, and where.

One year, as I've detailed in a story at my outdoor sports advisor page about minnow baits, all I fished on one lake was a black & silver minnow bait. Could have been anything, but that's what I choose. I caught more fish, and bigger fish, that year than anytime before or since. Why? Because I was forced to learn the water thoroughly, learn when and why the bait was successful, and explore all the nuances inherent with the use of that bait.

So, learn a little more about the bass you're chasing. When and why are they likely to hit? Are they feeding on the bottom? Chasing shad on top? Suspended? Do they pattern a particular way on the lakes you fish? Relate to certain structure at particular times or weather conditions. Etc.

Do that and the trophies will start to show up.

Let me conclude with two bits of advice. First, if you're fishing tournament style, it is not condusive to big fish, cuz you're fishing too fast. Second, nowadays, most fishermen say if they had to be confined to just one bait it would be either a jig or a spinnerbait, because they're the most versatile. I believe that, and would opt for a spinnerbait myself.
[signature]
Bigger bait means bigger fish. I like 7-8 worms rigged wacky
I really like to use 10" Berkley power worms on humps and points, Lucky Craft CBD20 crankbait on points, jigs on bluffs for the bigger fish. In Spring I use Yum Dingers and cast near any shallow cover. However, my biggest was 8 lb largemouth caught on a 4 3/4" Yum Houdini worm. My friend's biggest smallmouth (6.5lb) was caught on a 3 inch Berkley power grub. That was the first fish he ever caught on a lure the first time I took him out......I'm still a little bitter over that!
[signature]
In this order:
Senko
Jig
Spinnerbait

The jig and spinnerbait catch bigger fish on Avg though.
[signature]