Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua
Well I know why I don't go to Mantua that much...

The DWR called every one but me about not trying to get the blue gills this morning so there I was wounding where they was...

About 7:30 I started to fish NO DWR, I fished the shore in a few places and then tried deeper (off shore) but about all the bigger the bass seemed to be was 14" what a let down...

A few years back I would have boated at least one three or four pounder and a few twos, You can tell what lakes they let people keep bass all that is left is dinks...

Found lots of perch and gills all over the biggest perch is along the shore by the moss line some over 10", all in all I boated 26 bass 5 gills 10 perch and 2 green sun fish...
[signature]
Sorry about that Bud. You don't deserve it!!!! Any reason for them not doing the get together?? Kind of seems like things are changing there and not for the good! [:/] I can still catch bass there but quality is decreasing. The perch have really thinned out and the blues are getting smaller and smaller. Something bad is happening.
Leaky and the Sparkinator
[signature]
It takes time for them to grow ...

If you take out the bigger fish of any lake all you will have left is small one bass blue gills perch and so on, it takes time for all fish to grow the smaller the lake the more it can show...
[signature]
For the pond at the fair?

It would be better if they just put their standard 17" catfish in that pond. It would give the kids more of a thrill, maybe break a few of those cheap poles they use, but stories the kids could tell.
[signature]
What they need to do, and TD as well as others have hit on this already... is plant some pike or tiger musky in Mantua. That will help thin out those 'gills and put some worthy fish in that pond.

I know a lot of you guys love catching perch and bluegill, but after a while it sure gets old, at least in my experience.
[signature]
Where have you ben????

We don't need a fish like that in Mantua, we need to have a catch and release put on Mantua to let the fish grow for a year or two...
There are far two few fish in there now, all the Tigers will do is eat all the bass and then starve....

The bigger a fish gets the more or bigger food they need..Look at Pineview the perch and crappie are not any bigger just fewer of them....
[signature]
Most little kids don't care about how big a fish is all they want is to catch some...

Nathan more boring to a kid then no bites or not catching anything...That is why gills work so good...
[signature]
Hey Cliff, when are you going to give up on Mantua? It will never be the bass lake you want it to be. I think they SHOULD put tigers in there. It would increase the overall size of the fish and thin them out. That is what that place needs. Toooooooo many mini-me's in there. Not trying to start a fight with you, just getting tired of the same story about mantua. Stick with the Nelle, you will be fine.[Wink]
[signature]
I hear ya, Cliff. I wouldn't mind a 'catch and release' at Mantua. In fact I'd be in favor of it. But pleaseeeeeeeeee...we need to make a dent in the Bluegill population. Some Tigers would take care of that! There are soooo many gills and perch in there, I think 90% of the bass would be just fine.
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"]I am very interested in fishing in that pond. It would give the kids more of a thrill; maybe break a few of those cheap poles they use, most of the kids like fishing. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]======================================[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]williamrichard[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][/font][font "Times New Roman"]
[url "http://www.drugaddiction.net/utah"]Utah Drug Addiction[/url][/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You know what I would REALLY like to see in Mantua? Flathead catfish. Now those are some bluegill eatin' machines. But, as they get bigger, they would also vacuum up the bass and everything else in the lake. They got no pride and no standards. They eat anything that don't eat them first.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]NOPE. Mantua is a small closed system with limited depth and an overabundance of weeds. It is too small for much of anything except what is in there right now. Even just a few tigers or northerns would ruin the overall fishery in short order. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I agree with Bassrods about needing a more aggressive limit on bass. As the top predator they are the only means of controlling the bluegills. So, if none of them are allowed to get big enough to clean up their share of the bitty blues the balance gets way out of hand.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Anglers are the same everywhere. They feel like they have to keep their biggest fish to take home and show off to everybody. Since keeping one big bass is legal on Mantua, that means a lot of larger fish leave the lake every year...and there are not that many large ones in there. Every large bass that goes home in the cooler reduces the predation on small bluegills and also shrinks the breeding stock for more bass.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Mantua makes a good argument for individual regulations on each water rather than a statewide limit applicable to all waters. It has the potential to produce some very large bass, but under the current regulations there are not enough bass allowed to get larger.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We might also point a finger at DWR, for using Mantua as a "brood pond" for all their bass plantings up to this point. The supply is not inexhaustible. Hopefully the new warm water hatchery operations will remove that element from Mantua's problems.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I think mantua would benefit greatly from a slot limit. No bass harvest between 12-18 inches. This place could be an awsome bass fishery, but the regs are killing it.
[signature]
+1 this this idea
[signature]
We would like to catch something to eat, bluegill, crappie, bass or?? Don't live too far from Mantua. Can you give me some advice on what to use, when, where, etc.? Is there some kind of restriction on Mantua for bass? Utah Lundman
[signature]
For Bluegills anything shy of a bare hook. I have done well with small jigs in white or chartreuse. You can tip with worm or shrimp if you like but I have not had to do that very often. Just find a hole in the weeds with a depth of about 10 feet and it can be nonstop. Good luck
[signature]
Tell me this...

How does getting red of the young fish ever help a lake????

If you want bigger fish you must let them grow with age...

Its this way for those who deer hunt or elk hunt and you want a big one you never kill the young ones... Its the same with fish deer elk and so much more...

In great fishing lakes all over the world you will find that it has lots of small fish way to many to live all year, thats where the bigger fish eat the overage of the young and keep the lake in its best shape over all...

Before you put a fish like the tiger M. or walleyes in a lake you need to know what they eat when they get big....
Mantua has nathan for them once the bass is gone, and small blue gill will not feed them...Mantua is just too small for a fish like the Tigers...

Look and think of the hole picture,[crazy][crazy][crazy] I wish it could make a good Tiger lake...
[signature]
Well let me put it this way...

1. If you want to keep fish to eat keep a fish that gets restocked or go to a lake that is big and can stand the harvest...

2. Don't take the fish to feed the world or anyone who does not buy a licenses...

3. Don't keep a fish just to brag and show your friends you can catch a big one...

4. Let the fish grow to a size as to not over harvest and hurt the lake; ie bass or even some trout keep the smaller ones...

5. Don't just say your a sportsman BE ONE...

People who only want to catch fish just to eat and not help to keep the fishery great I have no help for them...
[signature]
I see your point about the small fish needing to be in the lake, but you are wrong about the deer/ Elk. You should really kill the spikes, because they don't have the gene pool for growing to trophy status.
I hope that everyone except for me stops fishing Mantua.
That place is an absolute joke to try and fish on a weekend, with all the people.
The numbers of fish in Mantua are down from last year, probably because of all of the preasure. There is still some big fish to be caught, they are just getting harder to catch.
With the preasure that has been put on that lake, there should be regs to protect the mature Bass, but our management usually acts to little too late!
[signature]
Maniac is right on the Elk a spike does not have good genes. Any good elk should go straight to a 2 point. As for keeping some Keep the bass if you want to eat them just please take the smaller ones.

And secondly why eat a scummy trout when you can eat a nice pan fish or bass, just don't waste them.
[signature]
I found out today that they will have blue gill, perch, cat fish, walleye, white bass, crappie in the pond for the kids to catch & release...
In two days we caught over 1200 gills for the pond the fishing should be great fun...
[signature]