Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fall flies
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Well since fall will be starting in just a few weeks will that change your selection of flies that you carry to the river/lake?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
no.. not at all.. Ill carry all that I have so that I can try to see if I can figure out one that works [cool]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Are you including the Pacific Salt Lake in that question?

Just in case, I do start to carry my Shrimp patterns as well as Sand Crab mixes. lol

For the lake fishing that I do in the Bass zones, I will start to go with some of the minnow, leech and Zonker patterns.[cool]
[signature]
I am a fan of attractor nymphs in the fall. It seems most are trying to push the drys until it snows. But I catch some wonderful fish using nymphs that are in the wrong morph stage. My all time favorite is the golden stone fly.
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Ho there Hwy1SH thanks for the picture, Did you tie them yourself? Recently I tied some stone flies that is different from the traditional one's that one will find on line. See below. Did you know that stone flies are not found in lakes or slow moving water as they require oxygenated water to survive. This type of water is most commonly found in fast moving waters that are abound with rocks/stones. Hence their name.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[inline sf2.jpg]
[signature]
No those are not my wraps, yet when time allows I make some. I must say your beautiful natural winged stone is a gem. I look forward to more time at the bench. I just made some flies for silvers I will be fishing on the 20th in A.K. They are flashy multibead marabunnies. I will try to take a picture to post. Your stone is again a beauty, thanks for sharing. I have boxes if ever you need one for your creations. Do you tie a golden stone bead head epoxy stone #8, if so maybe post a picture. I dropped a picture of pattern for lakes wet and dry for the Sierras anyway.
see backing soon!
Tim
Irideus
[signature]
[Image: happy.gif][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]I have yet to tie a stone fly with a bead head. Probably should make up a few as my ties won't get down below the surface. I realize that a stonefly nymph is an important addition to one's arsenal.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
The bottom looks like a Griffith Gnat, great Fall fly. For those that DON'T fish then #30 and #32's Griffith are great "Cluster"
The first picture...CHIRONOMIDS! Yeah baby, MY FAVORITE!

In answer to DR's post....rivers, my flies get allot smaller. Stillwater, no change but our lakes will freeze.
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: dumb.gif]Darn there you go again with the 32s. Like I would need a jeweler's loup and a seeing eye dog to thread one of those suckers.[Image: bobwink.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
DR... I thought you bought that fancy magnetic hooking holding threading thing to handle those smaller flies?? [Wink]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Sure did MacFly & it works great. However, one has to be able to see the fly inorder to set it in the grove.[Image: bobwink.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
lol.. now that is true.. now I see why you say the jewelrs glass and the seeing eye dog..

MacFly
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Say what?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][inline sed.jpg]
[signature]
lol... now thats a good one..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Its funny I tend to use a size 14, which is a big Griffiths but it catches. I know the naturals will hate this but, I am over small flies and sore eyes. If the fish are not spooked they will eat flies you can see. But yes for the fall seems these are my flies. Yet I have tied some big uglys to use in Alaska in only a few more days. If you ever need any fly boxes you can find me at Irideus on the web.
Tight Lines!!!!!!!!!!
Tim
[signature]
Griffiths are a good choice. You will see the little 30's and 32's cluster up and that is your Griffith.
The Provo gets so pounded, you really got to match the hatch and in the late fall/winter, that is 28 to 32 midges, 24 to 28 emergers and 20 to 24 nymphs (like Zebras, WD40's, etc.)
[signature]