Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sunnyside III
My pal Chuck and I fished Haymeadow the 20th thru the 22nd. Trout fishing was very good. Very good numbers with some nice fish mixed in. The smaller fish were pretty easy to catch in the AM on small spinners or spoons, we did best with Kastmasters. The larger fish were all taken on Atomic thing-a-majijgers as The Rumrunner called them. The key to the larger fish was to let the jigs sink into the holes and then watch the line. The fish were picking the jigs out of the grass and then sitting there, paid to be a line watcher, like fishing bass with a split shot rig. If you moved them faster or jigged them your reward was a nice 6-inch bass. Let it sit for a minute or so, if no luck reel in and repeat.

A few nicer bass on tap as well, the better fish coming on spinner baits fished slowly through the deeper cuts. The wind was indeed an issue, never really letting up much from the mid morning till sunset. Water temp was at 40 degrees, so I was a little surprised to find the bass as active as they were.

I have to thank the Rumrunner and his pal Tom for their hospitality! Helping us out with some much needed mustard and a few extra pieces of firewood. Good folks for sure... even if they did not catch jack [Wink]. JK

On a side note we ran into a NDOW employee on the way out who gave me the info on the water temp. At first I thought he was a warden and offered my license. He laughed and said, "Everyone wants to show me their license, I don’t want to see it". He was not the warden (fooled me). Instead he measures the water temps and levels. He said a warden has not been there since the 4th of July the warden had told him he'd be back for the duck opener (10/11). Everyone I have every met up there seems on the up and up, however, for all we pay in fees seems a shame that NDOW does not check this great fishery for those few who would take more than their share or otherwise break the laws. Oh well.

A great trip, good company, good fishing what more can a guy ask for??

(Pics #1 me with sweet trout #2 THe rumrunner and I #3 Chuck with fiesty bass 4# Angry trout #5 trout on thing-a-ma-jig #6 The thing-a-ma-jig itself, great jig for all kinds of fish

[font "Times New Roman"][/font]
[signature]
Very nice Dan! I can't believe the water temp's at 40! Thats insane! Anyone up for a swim? Nice job on the healthy trout. Looks from the pics like that wind was really beating you up.
[signature]
Great report, Dan. Thanks for sharing.

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]