Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pros / Cons on reel ??
Hi, still haven't decided on any gear yet, been very busy.

Was wondering about the self rewinding reels like my friend had that I played with casting. The self rewind feature was pretty neat, but to me, like power windows in a 4X4, it's one more thing could break in the field so thought I might see if I could get any feedback either way.

Thanks, BFS [fishin]
[signature]
never used one but would love to try one just for grins.. but with the little fish I catch it might give the fish whiplash.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
They are old school for sure and they DO break, not to mention HEAVY! The idea is to find a reel that with backing and line, the rod and reel will balance out about an inch or two from where cork meets the blank.
I don't think they would be very workable either when playing a fish.
Just my thoughts.

I have one, but it is connected to my Grandfathers old 9' Montague Bamboo rod hanging on the wall.
[signature]
[laugh] always killin' me over here Macfly , yeah it was a few years ago but I remember was pretty slick , was a button on side I believe and it wound her right back up (slack I would guess if actually fishing) every time.

BFS [fishin]
[signature]
Thanks flygoddess, that makes a lot of sense, hoping to get to see some this week, last week got busy and I missed business hours.

BFS [fishin]
[signature]
hey...one of my first..if not the first memory I have of anything fly fishing is sitting at grannies dinner table messing with a auto wind reel.. I think this one was lever activated like the ones you see today.. only thing was.. granny would whack me up side the head every time Id let all the line reel in tight.. lol.. she had to take it apart I guess to get the fly line back out.. then Id do it all over again.. now I remember why I had so many headaches that summer.. [pirate]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[left][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Hey there BFS - when my dad passed away I inherited all his fishing gear which included a self winding reel & oh yea a 6wt boo. Played around with the reel a bit and can truthfully say that some things from the past should stay there. Like FGD mentioned then are too heavy and will not balance well with today's rods. Also it is not that practical for feeding line. When you pull line off the reel you are tightening an internal coil spring so that a touch of the lever will retract the line. Pulling line off the spool is a conscious effort versus using today's reels.[/size][/#008000][/font]

[center][inline sar.jpg]

[signature]
Thanks, yeah the whole idea seems a bit breakable to me the more I think about it and def. makes sense about the balance. Hopefully this week I will have some time, big push to be ready for the snow here.

BFS [fishin]
[signature]
[shocked] Yikes !! I guess better than messing around with the vacuum or something and gettin' hit with that [laugh] .

My thing was taking dad's power tools apart with my childhood fascinations. Actually think I may still be grounded, will have to check lol.

BFS [fishin]
[signature]
lol.. I used to do the same thing.. I would take apart drill etc and then put them back together.... used to set my dad off big time.. till he could see that I was able to put them back together.. lol.. only thing I did not mess with was the wiring.. never like messing with electricity.. :-)

MacFly
[signature]
Aw, power wont hurt ya with a lit t t le common sense, electric c c ity is my th th ing [sly] .

[inline tesla-coil-723861-723883.jpg]

BFS [fishin]
[signature]
LOL.. now how did you get a picture of my dads old basement.. thats where my sister, who by the way was born on Halloween, came from.. uhhhmmm I mean was born.. [sly]

MacFly
[signature]
That was MY dad's basement, something we must be missing here lol. [laugh]
[signature]
hmmmmmmm maybe two identical basements.. LOL>.
[signature]
Hi flygoddess, not sure how to post so all can see without starting a new thread but anyways, finally made it to the fly shop. Got to check out new Courtland? reel and rods, Couldn't spend much time and all I can offer without any real fly knowledge is the composite reel seemed very nice quality, and he recommended a smaller rod 4/5 I think and 7 something long for what I described. The Courtland 5/6 rod is 9 foot. Didnt get to hold them but right now They are on sale for 49 bucks and the reel is 60. ok on phone:

high modulous rod,.... sorry but this fly shop guy is a dick, he's sitting here trying to tell me that "you forum people" lol, dont know anything and just dont have the experience with all the different sizes and whatnot lol.....this is too much lol, he doesn't even know anyone [Image: whistle.gif] gotta hear him lmao, he's getting mad at me [laugh] .

he's almost yelling now lmao I HAVE BEEN FISHING FOR FIFTY THREE YEARS, YOU CANT CATCH A STEELHEAD ON A 5/6 ROD BLA BLA. HE IS YELLING, THIS MAN HAS AN ANGER ISSUE. too funny, [laugh][laugh][laugh]

so now im messing with him telling him how I have no problem landing steelys with my cute little ugly combo ..OMg this should have been recorded this man is yelling at me in obvious anger !!

OK, not buying from this guy, he is his own biggest fan and just, well, he's not at all cool lol, there is a big place out further towards Idaho wherer they have river guides and casting and tying lessons etc. who were more likely raised by loving parents, will try them next. did like the Courtland reel lol

so much for my going shopping and asking him about it lmao, but I did get to play with it and that was neat, I liked the way it was laid out, come to think of it, he was starting to get Angry when I was there and asked him what the tiny lever does that OF COURSE !!!! allows the spool to be removed lol [mad]. man , his wife was such a sweety on the phone before I went down lol.

so do you all think that if I like really crawl back to this guy and beg him to be my ffing mentor.....[laugh] omg, well that's where I'm at lol.

BFS [fishin]
[signature]
[laugh] that's funny, my thing was that drill too, that's the one I was "Grounded for Life" over for losing one of those plastic reduction gears lol, dad just bought it brand new too but the 'how does it do that' was simply overwhelming at the time, like leaving a steak in front of a dog lol
[signature]
I do have to say that a 5/6 would not be my first choice with Steelies. The river current alone. Oh I am sure someone has done it, but not ideal. Will also more than likely kill the fish (playing them too long)

So are you getting the Cortland?
[signature]
I had said the 5/6 or 6. .. but Id forgotten about the steelies.. would he be looking at a larger rod.. like a 9 wt??? and what length would he be looking at... still a 9 ft.. or longer??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
if it were me and an owner treated me like that.. especially after telling him I was new to the sport.. Id simply walk out and take my business elsewhere..

I once went to a sport chalet to get fins.. I needed to ask some questions.. well the only salesperson around was in the diving area. he was busy.. then the area manager came in.. and he started bs'ing with the customer and the salesperson.. and he had looked right at me.. then ignored me.. I waited. and then another customer walked up and they both started bs'ing with the guy..

I dropped the fins in my hand on the floor.. went to leave.. as I passed the front desk a young girl asked me if I had found what I wanted.. I asked if they worked on commission.. she said no.. I looked at her and Smiled and said thats a good thing because some of the sales people just lost a sale.. and walked out.. as I left she said Im sorry sir.. lol. it was not her fault .. but she was the one being civil..

I eventually went back to that store only because I had to.. as I got in the door someone met me and asked if I needed help.. I said yes, he immediately walked me to the area and stayed there to help me until I was satisfied.. and its been that way ever since.. lol..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
For steelies, I would think, 7 through 9 weight and I think I would still go with a 9'. On the big rivers a two handed 12' to 14' would be very nice, but then you would have to learn the skills also.
[signature]