Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Razorbacks and FLSP
[inline "Fish surgery 006.jpg"][inline "Fish surgery 002.jpg"]I played hokey from work today and headed up to Floyd Lamb State Park for some R&R. My luck they were stocking trout as I rolled up. I quickly caught a limit on a Kastmaster and gave the fish to an old man who was not doing too well.

Wanting some Bass action I headed down to the lower pond where I have done well in the past. As I arrived so did a whole team from NDOW and as I later found out from BYU. They were there to capture some of the Razorback suckers that they have planted in pond. They have used the lower pond as a nursery of sorts since the 80’s. I was aware of the presence of the endangered fish having had caught one there a few years ago. They ran nets the length of the whole pond and within a few hours had the eight suckers they were wanting. They did an “operation” on the fish, knocking the fish out in a cooler with a special knock out drug mixed in the water. Then implanting Echo locators under their skin, stitching the implant site closed and weighing and measuring the fish. The fish were then placed in holding tanks for the ride to Lake Mead. These were to be set free to join the estimated 500-600 Razorbacks that survive and reproduce there, the only place in the world that they still do. I gave up on the Bass fishing and picked the brains of these biologists and other experts, I even got to help them out some with pulling the nets! I thought it was pretty cool.

Neat to think that these fish are now free in Lake Mead. Hats off to the NDOW and Professor and students from BYU. Nice guys and they are doing good work, trying to keep alive what our dams and waste have all but made extinct. The population of razorbacks in Lake Mead is eight higher today….and I kind of helped.
[signature]
That looked like is was very exciting to see and help with.
Did they catch any other types of fish in the nets? i have heard of some large large mouth bass in there.
Last year some one caught a 10 pounder in there his picture is on the NDOW web site.

Stripercraze
[signature]
There are NO bass in there, repeat no bass! [Wink] They also caught a handful of carp. I too saw that pic on the NDOW site... It was taken in the guys driveway... [:/] A shame... If anyone out there wants info on the fishing there feel free to PM me.
[signature]
Looks like a fun and interesting time. When I first seen the pics and seen the boat. I was ready to load up my pontoon and head down there. Then I read your post and figured out who was in the boat. [frown]
[signature]
Great report!

Beyond fishing reports this site also serves as way to learn about what is happening in our local waters. Thanks for sharing!
BaySport
[signature]
Does anyone else have any insight as to how to fish Floyd Lamb? I want to try to get my wife out with me and introduce this sport to my daughter. Without a boat, I think Floyd Lamb is a nice little place to do this. My daughter is 19 months and just got her first pole so we want to give it a try. Plus when she gets bored, she can cahse the ducks. And my wife gets bored easily so hopefully we can get a little action no matter the size. So any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
[signature]
A little action in the park, I like how you think[Wink]

I think Floyd Lamb would be a great place. Just throw out a little powerbait.
[signature]
They stock catfish in the summer and rainbows in the winter. My wife and I go their sometimes with the baby and I go fishing when I cant make the lake. Its five mins away from my house.

Ive been caching trout using good old crawlers, on eagle claw number 8 hooks, using 8 pound test but 6 would be fine, I use water gremlins split shot number 4 about 12 inches up the line. Using this I caught 2 my first time and 3 the second time out. I missed a lot more than that hahaha.

I cover the hook completley with the worm, start at one end of the worm and thread him up the worm goes over the eye of the hook and on the line, cut the excess worm that hangs off with your fingers otherwise trout will nibble this bit and pull the whole worm off most times. The pond isnt that deep, so after I cast out a reel in two-three turns ever 5 mins until I get a bite. The trout like to nibble so wait until they really swallow the hook to get them.

I havent caught any catfish out there, but I talked to one guy who caught a few and he was using chicken livers on the bottom. I dont think you can use anchovies in the pond. Good luck cant wait to take my little girl fishing.
[signature]
When you say there are no bass in FLSP I am assuming you mean in the lower pond because I have witnessed several large mouth bass being caught in the upper pond usually always in the reeds. The last time I saw a bass caught there was in March of 2007 and the guy had two of them.
[signature]