Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weber Taggart
Got bored today still waiting for the ice to get thicker before I hit hard deck. Decided to do some winter fly fishing.

Headed out around 8:00 am to taggart carefull the road off exit ramp had about 4 feet of snow I was alone so didnt want to chance geting stuck parked across the street and hoofed it in.

Water levers are pretty low the banks were frozen over
no chance of stealthing it in spooked a few fish near the bridge. Hit a deep hole around the corner and hooked a few small browns about 12 to 14 inches.

Walked 1/4 mile up stream caught a few more dragging it across the bottom. Snow was too deep and I was too lazy to walk down any further all in all C&R 5 browns in total to my surprise no whitefish

Seemed a rainbow warrior & a roy rogers were the flies of the day.

(Sorry no pics I stopped posting pics on this board along time ago)
[signature]
I decided to put the fly rod in retirement till spring and get in all the icefishing I can during the winter months... but...you made me want to hit up the weeb one last time! [Wink] Think I may hit up taggart in the morning!
[signature]
love winter fly fishing you just about get the entire river to your self. [Smile][Smile][Smile]
If you do decide to hit taggart be careful the road off the exit was pretty snow packed probably slush now

Im gonna try my luck in wanship one last time before I store the fly gear. [cool][cool][cool]
[signature]
I will thanks. I still haven't gotten up there yet but its on my list of things to do![Wink] I have been ice fishing 5 of the last 7 days..think I am due for some fly rod action! [cool]
[signature]
I hope you don't mind me asking, but I am curious to know how to tie a Roy Rogers?

We have been doing fairly well on the Weber on small Copper Johns, WD-40's, and Scuds, mostly whitefish though but they are fun to catch also.
[signature]
Me Too!
[signature]
I have come across a new OLD fly that has been KILLER. I wanted to share it with you guys. If you tie, try it, pretty easy to tie and it is awesome.

Wiese's Four Feathers:
It was originally developed in gray pattern (still the most effective version) to utilize four feathers that work well on other nymphs: lemon wood duck for the tail, natural ostrich herl for the abdomen, peacock herl for the thorax, and natural pheasant tail for the wingcase and legs. Gold or copper Krystal Flash as an "under-wingcase" and legs complete the ensemble. It's an excellent attractor nymph used as a complement to the beadhead Prince, while in smaller sizes it's effective for spookier trout.
[signature]
Opps probably should have said it my variant of a ray Charles basically a cross between a ray Charles & a scud
[signature]