Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crawdad Cove 1-31-09
Hit the water around 5:45 this morning and right off the bat picked up a couple of smallish fish. Around 20" long each. After that... nothing.

Talked with another guy in a small boat, said he'd brought in a ten pound long'n'skinny fish that morning. The water was clear with a surface temp of around 56 degrees (I just got my sonar on the little boat!). The wind was a little brisk.

I pushed far up into one of the coves around the actual trout stocking location and was surprised to see a HUGE pack of trout running around. I guess this time, or perhaps, usually they stick around close and tight. Didn't see any big cows though.

On a side note, the fishing pressure was very light today. That was nice except for one A-Hole who shot into the cove going about 50 and then decided he would troll on the same track I was tacking about 50% faster than me.

He came up on my port side and was about 50 ft behind me then he decides to turn and pass me on my starboard side. Fine I thought, until one of my lines starts to pull hard. I pick up the rod and soon find out that I'm snagged up on something of his. I yell out, "Hey, I'm hooked up on you!"

He and his friend stood there just LOOKING at me. By now the line is in the prop, I can feel it beating and pulling away. Just before I reach for the scissors to cut the line it breaks off. I pull my line in to see that one of my expensive castaic baits is probably trailing behind him in his prop wash!

The only solace I have is that about 20 yards of 50lb., abrasive, nasty braided line is wrapped around his prop. If I'm lucky that line's on the shaft and will kill the seals then water will work its magic.

I can understand getting caught up with someone else. It just happens. I always try to be courteous as much as possible and respect those who were there first or had that particular approach already setup and running before me. But, if I did tangle up with someone, I wouldn't just sit there and watch! [mad]
[signature]
Wow, sounds like a nasty day... Sorry about your encounter. It's never fun running into the inconsiderate ones out there.
[signature]
Demolitron

Sorry to here about your experience some people have either no courtesy or common sense. I have had a ranger boat run across our lines before. We got two in but the third was out and his new engine pulled in about 300' of braided line. We were lucky and found the lure. You would think he could get on his loud speaker and tell us to reel in because he is going to inspect our vessel. Unfortunately there are a lot of dumb and ignorant people that do not respect anyone or thing.

I took a couple of friends out for the trout plant on friday. We were all lucky enough to be off of work the same time. Anyway here is how it went down. Started at 5:00 am. we trolled the beach first. 3 lines trolling and rotated one casting from the front. Nothing on the beach.

Went to crawdad about 9:30 same routine. We trolled slow, fast and casted nothing.

The the truck showed up. Dropped about 750 trout. Started casting again and watched the shore anglers reel in some trout. As we watched the birds and tracked the trouts travel we set up the troll again. Then my friend said his line went slack then a second later the pole bent down.
Landed the fish about 4 pounds. Then after a while went back to the beach up and down again one more time no fish. One for the day sunrise to sunset.

The Lake was empty on friday only saw 5 boats total.
I know there has been a few big fish pulled out this year.
But this year seems very slow compared to past years.

Stripercraze
[signature]
Bummer.

Crossed lines many times and always worked it out.

Hope I never cross lines with the moron you did.
BaySport
[signature]
Yeah, that was a crappy event. But overall, it was a good day. I like being on the water. And for the most part people fishing on the lake are good people.

Come next week, I'll be out there again. =)
[signature]
Perhaps the big ones are still tripped up by the change in planting locations. The big fish are solitary, right? I'm still hoping for my luck to change this year, or next... Either way its still fun and it makes it all the more exhilarating when you get a bite.
[signature]
I agree no matter what i will still keep on trying. have to put in your time to get the rewards.

Stripercraze
[signature]