Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tracker Dealer Mis-treatment
[font "Verdana"][size 2]I bought a new 2006 non-current model year Tundra 18WT in November from TULSA BOAT SALES in Oklahoma. Drove 2600 miles round trip to get what I thought was a good deal. Little did I know how wrong that would be.
I was assured multiple times on the phone it would have all the standard equip and fresh batteries.
#1- Drove there to pick it up and there was no stereo. When I complained about this I was assured they would mail it to me as they needed to order one in.
Two months later and only after complaining to Tracker through a customer satisfaction survey I finally received a stereo in the mail.

#2 - The next problem I found was that the bow of the boat would not line up with the front trailer stanchion. It was so far off that the V of the boat was off to the side of the front roller and had been rubbing on metal and chipped the paint away in a silver dollar size area. After 30 minutes of trying to move the boat on the trailer using the motor cherry picker in the shop to no avail I was told that they set the boats on the trailers using fork lifts and as soon as I float it it will line up.
Wrong answer, I put it in the water 2 times and the spacing of the bunks makes it almost impossible to have the boat misaligned. Finally figured out the stanchion could be moved by loosening the U bolts and it looks like once I float it again I can move the stanchion enough to line it up. Still waiting for the touch up paint I was promissed would be mailed.

#3 - The next problem I had was with the fish finder. It was acting very strangley. With any forward motion of the boat it would not read bottom accurately and acted almost like it was in simulate mode. I called TULSA BOAT SALES and was told they couldn't help me at all I would need to deal with Lowrance.
After working with Lowrance tech support I found the following problems which absolutely astounded me that a dealer would be so unprofessional and incompetent.
The first problem was that the transducer was mounted dead center lined up with one of the longitudinal lifting strakes as unbelievable as that seems. The next problem I found was that the power wires were unbelievably just stripped and then stuffed into the spade connectors on the back of the horn!!!!!

#4 - The next problem I had was that the speedometer has never even given a flicker. I called the dealer 2 times to discuss this and was told that since I trailered the boat so far I must have gotten some dirt or debris into the pick up port on the front of the lower unit and to clean it out with a piece of wire.
Never found any debris and this did not have any effect. Today while trouble shooting this further and removing some panels to trace the tubing to the back of the gage I finally found the tubing to be folded in half, secured in place to the flexible conduit with a zip tie and then wrapped over with black electrical tape. I can't even explain this with incompetency. It's so crushed I'll need to cut that piece out and splice it. I can't believe this was anything other than an intentional act. Un-freaking believable!!!!

#5 - The final problem I found was the 2 intake pipes for the livewells. They were cut off so raggedly and the threads are so damaged that it is impossible to screw on the screens that should be on them. Which is probably why they were laying in the battery compartment and had not been installed. Still trying to figure out how I'm going to fix that problem.

Absolutely unbelievable that a large Tracker dealer would treat a customer like that. I guess that's what I get for buying a boat from a dealer where it's too far away to take it back. I just can't understand how they can stay in business treating Tracker customers like that.

Tight Lines, Todd Hall[pirate][pirate][/size][/font]
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
Another testimonial to why you buy local. Even if means a few extra bucks out of your pocket.

It's also another testimonial to... "If you wanna do it right, you better do it yourself"

Next time, buy Smokercraft, buy local.

Sorry 'bout your troubles, man. Hope you get this all sorted out.
[signature]
I am actually more than satisfied with everything that has to do with the manufacture of the boat. I love it !!!! I am just pissed about all the little nickle and dime, totally unprofessional dealer responsible issues. Even after dealing with all that I am, shall we say "earning" my discount as I still saved about 40% over the best deal I could get in Utah.
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
This sounds about right to me. I've bought a few fishing boats in my lifetime as a charter guide, and rigged many more. Your experience sounds perfectly normal. Yes, an excellent dealer would have taken care of these things but those are few and far between, and certainly not in a place like Tulsa, OK. Maybe on the east and west coasts, where boating is popular and a year-round activity. And as was mentioned, you buy a boat from a local dealer because you are buying service. All boats will have problems (Fact). Service is everything. Knowledgeable dealers don't discount either, because they don't have to. Buyers come to them for professional services, not a "deal."

1. No stereo. A stereo is the last thing most fishermen want in their boats. Most go to get away from that, so it sounds to reason one wasn't installed. Its an added expense to the dealer, and adds to the "discount" price.

2. I have NEVER purchased a boat that was properly fit to the trailer. Each one needed either bunk board adjustment, roller adjustment, and/or winch adjustment for optimal launching and trailering. Trailers are generic, but each boat hull is different. Everyones launch needs are different.

3. I have never in my life seen a dealer-installed transducer adjusted and/or mounted correctly. If I were to look at 25 boats with sonars launching at any launch ramp, 20 of them would have improperly installed transducers. The dealers are not fishermen, or they wouldn't be working at a boat dealership! They're salesmen and mechanics, not fishermen. Most have no idea even how a sonar works.

4. Speedometers with hoses are seldom connected prior to sale because they either get moisture in them and freeze/crack, or they get debris in them. Most boats do not have the water hose connected when new. And besides, most boats do about 30-35 mph, give or take, and it doesn't really matter anyway. It goes as fast as it goes. Most who care use a gps for accurate readings.

5. The livewell pipe problem I can't really address, but only to reiterate, some minimum-wage kid probably set it up at the factory or dealership. Mechanical engineers don't set up live wells. Tracker is not a boat line known for quality workmanship. You get what you pay for.

I do understand your frustration, but its a fact of life when buying any boat. It takes weeks or months to get a new boat "right." Almost always, unless you buy from a "custom" dealership. And when you do, there's no discounts. Again, you get what you pay for. And the larger the dealer, the less quality in service you receive. Smaller dealers make every customer count and survive on service and customer loyalty. Large ones deal in volume rather than quality, and know more buyers will come along looking for a discount.

Sounds like you have most of the problems taken care of, and saved a few bucks in the process. As you said, you earned your discount, and that's perfectly fine as long as you understand that. Welcome to the world of purchasing new fishing boats! Wait until you start adding accessories, doing maintenance, and making repairs. Boats are just things to throw money into, but we gotta have 'em!

Good luck with the boat, and good fishing.
[signature]
I'd bet that the owners son was the guy that worked on your boat.
It's hard to get good help these days!
[signature]
About one year ago At the Sportsmans show in SLC I purchased a new Tracker boat. My experience with Marine Max was just the opposite as yours. They were very professional in every way. They delivered the boat to a lake of my choise, close to home, to give it it's shake down cruise. They even filled both the 30 gallon gas tank and the oil tank on the Mercury Optimax. When it's time for a new boat I will diffently give Marine Max another look. Zugbug
[signature]
I sympathize with you, but Jim is correct, almost all new boats need to be adjusted (trailer, fish finder, etc.). However, I don't believe in buying at top dollar just to have a local dealer rip me off in price. I'd do like you and drive back east somewhere you can find a deal and then try to solve my problems. If the boat is under warranty, then any Tracker dealer should service it.
Someday down the road a few years when I retire, I'd like to become a boat broker. If you rented a flat bed and took it back to say Mich, Wis, or MN and bought 3-4 used "fishing boats" (16-20' Lunds, Smokercraft, Sylvan's, etc.) you could bring them back out to Utah and make $2-$4K per boat. There is a huge demand for these boats out here!
[signature]
I have to agree with TarponJim. Dealers don't know what kind of fishing you will be doing or what kind of conditions you will be in. Every new boat I've bought needs"fine tuning" for my specific needs and wants. I run all of my own wiring for electronics, plotters, GPS, radios, sonar, downriggers, lights, remote troll, and transducers so that I know I won't have trouble on the water. I think most manufacturers build good quality products. It's just the aftermarket add ons that are scary.[:p]
[signature]
Jim and everyone else, thanks for the feedback. You are all correct. Jim, I've spent the last 40 years of my life fishing out of 14 - 16 foot boats in both fresh and salt water. Spent a few years living in Pensacola doing air shows and really enjoyed fishing the inter coastal. Ate allot of flounder, specs, and reds. I never have taken a stereo out fishing with me, but when that is on the equipment list of the contract I sign, I expect to recieve it.
Regarding all the issues I've had to resolve, it's given me an opportunity to re-do almost all the rigging and wiring on my boat so as sportfishinsteve says, I'll know wheere to look when there's a problem and there should be fewer now.

Thanks guys, I hope to see you on the water and Jim, my partner and I want to go jigging for macs with you.

Take care guys,
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
I've bought a lot of used boats over the years but just purchased my first new one.What would you do if you bought a new one before you took it out?

Rapalas R rated G for everyone.
[signature]
[quote WET1]Thanks guys, I hope to see you on the water and Jim, my partner and I want to go jigging for macs with you. [/quote]

Wet1-I've got 2 or 3 days left open in April, and a few days open in September. May-August are currently booked full. Contact me pretty quick if you want a day this year, or to get on my cancellation list. I WILL get a few other openings this year. Email me from my website, shown below.

BigFish-Unless you are absolutely sure about the boat you are buying, I'd first take it for a ride on the water before buying. They all run different than they look on a trailer. I'd never buy a boat I didn't first ride in, new or used. Once you decide, the things before the first trip are to make sure batteries are charged and clean, check all electrical accessories (lights, bilge, gauges, etc). Check to be sure you have all your safety gear, registration/bill of sale, etc. Do you have a tool kit, extra oil, spare drain plug (in a handy location), rain gear, sun screen, etc. Is oil level full, and gas fresh? Are lugs on the trailer tires tight, and tires properly inflated? Squirt some grease in the bearings, even though they're brand new. Is the plug in? LOL And it sounds like common knowledge, but please read the darn owners manual for the outboard. They change every year, and they're not as simple as they used to be. It will tell you about emergency procedures, warning lights and alarms, and any special "quirks' of your motor. They're all different. Be sure you have your emergency starter rope on board. (I used mine two weeks ago!)

You should also allow anywhere from 4-10 hours of actual running time for the break-in period on any new motor. Follow the owners manual on break-in to the letter. Don't just run the motor to your first spot and start trolling. Leave the rods in the vehicle or home. This is also the time to fine tune your sonar, especially transducer adjustments. Its also the time to see if your boat is positioned on your trailer for both easy launching, and proper balance for the hull. Most need an adjustment in either the bunks or the winch. See if the electronic "toys" all work. Learn where your wires are all routed.

Then, as you begin fishing, you'll find that you want to personalize things. What to store where? Is important stuff in dry bags? Maybe add drink holder here or there. Where will you keep your tools such as pliers, clippers, hook sharpener, net, etc? Where do you want the downriggers for the easiest access and most efficient fishing? Where and what type of rod holders or racks to you want? Where will you stow your cooler, your safety gear, your 1,999 Rapalas, [Wink] and everything else you normally have aboard? Do they need to be secured for safe travel in rough water? Do you like the seating arrangement, or will you be moving/changing the seats? These are all things best decided when you are in the boat on the water, preferably alone or with one other person the first time. On the second trip, load it up to the max to see how it performs, and to see if you need to adjust the outboard for proper trim.

You also need to watch your tach. to make sure the boat is propped right. Most are not at the start. You will likely need to change out the prop to get the required rpm range, especially if you buy the boat at a lower altitude. Too many rpms voids the warranty. Too few stresses the motor.

I'm sure I've missed some things, but you want to personalize the boat for YOUR needs and location, and break it in properly. It usually takes me several trips to get it right, and then I'm still tweaking from time to time.

My best advice is to try and keep things simple. Direct wire electronics. Don't use the trolling motor battery for anything except the trolling motor. Don't add or have accessories you'll never use.

And always remember, B.O.A.T.-Break Out Another Thousand!
[signature]
This is all great advice. I traded up to a 200HP Yamaha outboard several years ago. Luckily, I followed the break in procedure to the "T". I was about an hour into it, which by the way is tedious and slow, and sucked a cylinder. When they put the motor on the computer it told them exactly what RPM's and minutes that the motor had run. So, they replaced all parts and paid for the labor and did a complimentary "break in" in their tank at Robertson's.
[signature]
Wow that was some good stuff.....Thank you.....1997 lost two last trip.
I'd like to meet up with you sometime after you come off the water in manila and buy you dinner sometime.Would that be possible?I'd like to spend some time off the water with you.Your really good at answering questions and you fishing knowledge is incredible.Over my many years I learned that if you want to get better at something you learn from the best.I also respect your time I know your a busy guy,so if your schedule is full or if you like to forget about fishing after your done guiding every day I'd understand.Thanks again

He that is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else.......Ben Franklin
[signature]
Uh oh! Now you're down to well under 2,000. Better stock up again![Wink]

I'm sure we'll run into each other at the boat ramp again sometime. Dinner is a nice offer, but I try my best to not eat anything from Manila for health reasons. I can't ever call in sick, and you never know when you're going to get the "revenge." I'm taking the boat out at the ramp every afternoon though, usually about 15 minutes after the wind starts howling. No time for talk in the mornings!

I never, ever stop thinking about fishing.
[signature]