Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weber Rep from Friday
Got off work with on friday with a few hours of daylight left. Hit up the weber. It was fantastic. I tied up a few sh bh flash back hares ears on #18. I used an ornge scud size 16 as an attractor. Landed 13 in an hour and a half. Best day in february I have ever had in Utah. All browns but nothing very big. Biggest was a beautifull fifteen incher. I couldn't believe how high and even a little murked the water was already. Probably why I did so good. I'm not a very sneeky guy. What a blast.
Fishjon
[signature]
just adding a report for Tuesday.

Fly fishing was the pits the wind was howlin and for some reason the fish didnt seem interested in the scuds, coppers BH pheasant tails or last resort the san juan worm nuthin not even a bugger worked. So the wind was bad and the flies were not workin for me so i was glad I was double fisting or I would have caught the skunk. Yea I know I used my spinners but they were the ticket. Only landed one brown but had a bunch on and lots of other hits as well it was worth the trip as it always is (especially for the dogs) even thought the wind helped my set up get tangled almost every other drift. Oh well I cant say I sat at home and looked out the window all day long wishin I was fishin[fishon]
[signature]
I fished croydon again on monday. I must be fishing the wrong spots. I seem to only catch whitefish up there. Even the section between echo and rockport I catch 10 whitefish to 1 trout. On monday I caught almost 10 whitefish and no trout. I had a few on durring a midge hatch but they were dinks less than 6". Fishing a double scud with a weight at the bottom. But it doesnt seem to matter what I fish on that river if its not spin fishing im catching whitefish!
[signature]
YES that is so true. Sometimes it is hart to keep the whities off when the bite is ON!! I have had days where you couldnt pay for a trout but had a 40+ whities in a few hours. I guess that it is give and take. Its not too often I get skunked on the weber just because of the whitefish. Plus they are fun to catch on a fly rod. For this reason I carry my spinning rod most of the time on rivers so that I can catch a big old trout that is not taking flies. I also learned to read rivers as a kid with the trusty old spinner.
[signature]
I know what you mean about the spinners FOD. I grew up fishing for montana browns. I still do for a few weeks every year.The first way I ever learned to fish for them was with a big gold mephs #3 on the end of a fly rod working the underbanks of a small creek. Those big browns hit it like a freight train. I never have been able to catch browns as big as those on flies until my brother invented a sweet crayfish fly. Browns love crayfish up there. It doesn't seem to work in Utah. Maybe I need to tie them smaller. We use #2 up there.
Fishjon
[signature]