Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to buy, need help deciding.
I am buying a pontoon soon and need some input. I am looking at NFO's and trying to decide which one. Originally I wanted the Skykomish Sunrise H2, but then they put the Northwest Express H2 X1 on sale and I like the bigger size. I would prefer to have a 10'-12' since I like to get out on the rivers at times. Now the H2 is not on sale any more and they came out with the Outlaw. I did not like the price of the Outlaw's when they came out and I am not sure about the design, but now they are the same price I was looking to pay. So many decisions. I would also like to know what peoples experience has been with warranty work with NFO and the quality. The "U-Boat" shape has grown on me and I like the fact you can reverse the way the frame goes on. There is also no info on their website about the Avenger, but I like the looks of it better than the X5 as in stability and capacity.

I fished with a Trout Unlimited Colorado XT Pontoon last year and do not care for it much. The seams ripped out and had to have them repaired, then the frame is quite rusty and it does not track well in the water. Seems a little to heavy also.

I am also wondering if they have better deals at the expo's since the IF one is coming up next month. Any info would be appreciated, especially you FG. [Wink]
[signature]
I know Dave or Larry will be at the IF show. The difference in the X5 and the Avenger seem to be first off like you said, a larger tube. Even the Diameter seems bigger. The frame seems smaller and more modified on the Avenger. Look at the foot pegs. That is going to be preference.
It really is an unbelievable ride on a "U" shaped toon over a traditional. I have both. Pontoon seems to want to turn in wind and is harder to track in ruff weather (mine is not as noticeable as most as it is very small diameter toons, but it is still slightly there) Then I got the Navigator (smaller version of the Outlaw) Went out on some very nasty water...NO DRIFT, it tracked fantastic..no toon slapping against frame, specially if it comes loose which CAN'T happen on this new design.
Talk to Dave at the show and tell him Joni sent ya.
I will be there tying both days.
I am sorry that I can't give you any feed back on warranty. I have never needed it. My Cardiac is 10 years old, my Navigator 2, My H3, three years. And the boats we had before these have never had any problem.
I do know people that have had unforeseen mishaps and they were replaced.
[signature]
I personally would recommend NFO products. I only have a year old H3 and I ordered another new H3 when I stupidly damaged the one I have now. I really, REALLY like NFO and if I were in the market for a larger pontoon that had oars and all that neat stuff, I'd most definitely buy one of Dave's!! IMO:o) In fact, I may just get me one later this year to use on the bigger lakes around this area.
[signature]
Thanks for the replies. Good info FG. I knew you had some experiance with this brand. I guess I will have to wait and go to the show and decide the rest there. I was really set on the Northwest Express H2 X1 until NFO raised their price on it and then came out with the Outlaw. I have heard good things about the unitrac toons. I plan on putting a small gas motor on it so I can get up the river in places and fish a few areas that I have seen. This fishing bug is getting bad and waiting another month to get the toon is killing me. May have to go hit the banks soon and see if I can relax a bit for a month. There is not enough open water yet to get the boat out yet. I will be at the IF show for sure and have a friend who is looking at buying a new toon also, so we will have to stop buy and say "HI" so you can put a face with the name.[Wink]
[signature]
I did forget to ask the obvious question. Does NFO have units for sell at the expo? Would hate to go look and not be able to buy and have to wait for an order to be shipped.
[signature]
I don't know, but I am betting it is an order thing.
[signature]
Prvrt, I just got done talking to Dave at the ISE show today. He said for you to give a call to NFO and he can bring one with him. He does bring a few to the show, but they are usually gone before the doors open. He can put your name on one.
[signature]
That would be great, but, I am still Undecided on which one. That is the main reason for going to the show. I can't decide between the Outlaw X5 or Avenger! Heck, I would even take a display model if he would sell it (for a little less). This is about how my luck goes. I have watched Dave's videos over and over, and I am still Undecided. I like the Avenger for being the most stable of the two and the $200 bucks more I think is well worth it, but I am afraid it may be to big. On the other had, taking a friend with me if I buy the other frame for the Avenger would be great. But, the X5 will fit in the bed of my truck and is a little lighter. Hmmm, you would think I was buying my first house. I will do some more looking at the videos and see what I can come up with. Thanks Joni for talking to Dave, I do appreciate it.
[signature]
No problem. You could still call and maybe they could help you decide.
He did give us his latest video which I haven't watched yet, but it is Dave floating white water while standing on the standing platform. Reason why, is a pontoon can hit a rock and flip, but this new design won't, at least that is what he told me. He said this is that stable. Kind of impressive stuff, not ego, just pointing out what the boat can do.
[signature]
I just got the latest info. The Avenger is a 12' boat and the X5 is 10'6". The both use the same X5 frame, so basically, on is a foot and a half longer. I am thinking the diameter is the same. I agree, for just a couple hundred more, that 12'er would be nice. You can also get the two man frame thing. It might be an attachment.
That new inflatable Kayak is cool as heck. I now look at one in a different light. It packs up in a small back pack. Totally inflatable. And set up that you can sit side ways, put flippers on and use it like a tube. It moves surprisingly well inspite of the length. So you can now fish hands free from a kayak.
[signature]