Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Small Pond LMBass love it!
Hey everyone! I'm new here and want to share some of my knowledge about the local Florida fishing scene.

A couple of weeks ago I was fishing a new pond behind a church that my friend told me about. He told me he caught a 5 pounder for sure there.

He had just found his grandfather's old tackle box which was interesting because of all the old lures, especially flies.

Anyway, I was looking through it, and decided to try this funny looking lure he had. It was an in line spinner with just some metal beads and a blade, and a treble hook on the end. It read "Rooster Tail" on that blade.

I tied it on, and caught bass every, give or take, 5 - 8 casts. And when working these small wonders, you just reel them in moderately. That's it!

I was in the area the next week and went inside the Bass Pro Shops in Dania Beach next to the IGFA Hall of fame and picked up a Racoon colored 1/6 oz rooster tail. That thing caught a lot of fish in the time span of one week until I lost it casting after being stupid and not checking the knot! Among these catches, was catching two 4 pounders on 10lb test mono, and I like tying it with the palomar knot. This lure is guarranteed to catch you fish.

Walmart barely sells any of them. So I bought a 1/8 and a 1/4 oz (They didn't have my 1/6 oz wonder [frown]). I used the plain colored ones, but the one I use now has a red skirt. These lures work magic in ponds. Don't know about lakes or anything, but I've heard they catch just about every freshwater fish out there.

I'd strongly recommend it to anyone who fishes small ponds, or to someone taking their kids out for a day on the water, as it is such an easy lure to use.

But don't be looking to catch anything over 6 lbs with it though. This is your last resort on a bad day of fishing if you're looking for the big mama's.

But this underrated lure deserves more attention for the amount of fish it catches. Tight lines! [fishin]
[signature]
[fishon] welcome to the site and yea i used to fish that with a shiny blade when i was younger i used to fish in the morn before school half way to school was a secret spot on mcculom lake its a small manmade lake in mchenry ill i grewup fishing that lake had nothing but good luck with those brings back memories [laugh] imma have to pick a few up next week end

LOVE PEACE AND TURKEY GREASE
[signature]
Welcome to the site smashnbash. They also work great for trout fishing here in the NE. Sounds like a great little pond.
[signature]
Yeah I've used them on trout. I'll try hitting a few bass with them now though!
[signature]
Ok, I fish the small pond on my girlfriend's property. She's got bass in there....none of them are real big right now. I'm gonna get a rooster tail and give it a shot in there. Anyone know how they fare in the river?
[signature]
If you're not catching any, you may be reeling it in too fast. You gotta make sure the fish can strike it! [Wink]
[signature]
You can never reel too fast, it's amazing how fast a bass can react to its own predatorial instinct. Of course, speed always plays an important role while fishing for any species. Adjusting speeds can trigger a bite on a slow day.
[signature]
I make my own Rooster Tail style lures, and i think they work great. I make small ones for bass and big ones for pike. The ones i make for pike are about 7 or 8 inches long and the bigger bass really seem to like the big ones too. Speaking of speed i made one last year that is around 8 inches long and i put a double blade on it! you can retrieve it really slow and it produces alot of flash. If i think of it i will post some pictures of some of the stuff i made over the years.
[signature]