Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat Capacity Decal?
Sometime between yesterday and today the decal that states what your boat capacity, motor HP, weight , etc, has disappeared from my boat. It must have flown off on the freeway I suppose.

Does anyone have any idea where I could get a new one? The manufacturer (Valco) of my vessel is no longer in business, I already tried there...

Any help would be appreciated..
[signature]
I have never had the rangers look for that sticker. Neither of my previous boats had one. You might call Lee's Marine in Hyrum and ask him about it. Why are you needing one?
[signature]
It is on the boat inspection checklist that the DNR guy had. He wrote me a warning for it today. I know it was there yesterday, not sure what the hell happened to it.
[signature]
The following items are on the Utah State Parks and Recreation Vessel Inspection:

-Certificate of Registration Onboard

-Bow Numbers Displayed Properly

-Reg. Stickers Current and Displayed

-Proof of Liability Insurance Onboard

-Type IV PFD - Throwable

-Fire Extinguisher, 10 yrs old or newer and unused

-Horn, Whistle

-Bailing Bucket or Bilge Pump

-Verified Capacity Info. Decal

-Navigation Lights

-Hull Identification Number

-Spare paddle, Oar, or Motor <21ft.

-Adequate Ventilation

This particular gent said a citation could and would be issued for failing to provide any of the above listed items...
[signature]
Thats kinda weird. I have never had them look for it.
[signature]
Check, check, and check. Got all that and then some.
Why didn't they ask for a spare propulsion(oar, paddle etc,)?
[signature]
Skipped that line on my warning ticket, it is on the checklist...
[signature]
Kind of funny this one. I got hit up for that last year. I had no idea where it was. It isnt were it was on my first boat, riveted to the frame. i will have to look for it. I wish they would give us a happy sticker for a successful inspection so I could go the rest of the season with out being held up at the launch. Never the less i am using your list to check out boat to make sure it will pass. I have gotten checked every year since my first boat.
[signature]
I've had more than one boat that does not have that capacity plate/ decal. I'm sure they were there when the boats were new but they must have been taken off or knocked off. I never knew it was the owners responsibility to get a new one to keep from getting a ticket. I wonder who I would need to call to find out where to get a new one or have one made, maybe I could make my own[:/] and that would be OK[crazy]. WH2
[signature]
I think if you are from Utah you can put a picture of a BYU coed on your boat and it takes care of any capacity issues- I think the ORE boats on the great lakes do it that way.
[signature]
I had the same problem with the missing decal so I wrote to the parks and recreation and this is their answer. I hope it helps. I will make a copy of this and carry in my boat. Everything between the dots is a cut and past from the email I was sent from Parks and recreation. (NOT fish and game, seems they do not have jurisdiction on this) I wrote them also.

There are two different
tags, one is for the HIN (Hull Identification Number) and the second tag
is for the capacity plate.

To answer your question for it being the HIN tag. The registration
certificate, issued by the Utah Division of Motor Vehicles, will have
this on your registration certificate. The HIN tag is generally located
on the right rear side of the boat and should be something in reference
with eight to twelve characters.

To answer your question for it being the capacity plate. If you are
unable to obtain this information from Smoker Craft, then you can use
this formula to determine what your boats capacity is; vessel length
(feet) multiply vessel width (feet) dived by 15. This will give you the
total maximum number of people you may have your boat. You can take the
total number of people then multiply by 150, this will give you the
total maximum weight limit. I would then take these two numbers (total
maximum number of people and total maximum weight limit number and place
them on a 3 x 5 index card with the formulas listed. I would keep this
with your registration certificate that is required to be on your boat
at all times.

I hope that this information will assist you and thank you for your
interest in the Utah State Parks Boating Program. If you have any
further questions, please feel free to contact me.

I went online to the parks and recreation web site and then did the contact and it gave an email address. It took them 4 to 5 days to respond but I got one with the name of the person who responded but I did not want to put her name on this posting.
[signature]
note I left out the part that said if you can not get a new tag from your boat manufacturer so I will have email proof I tried to get it from mine just in case someone else reads this differently.
[signature]
have a Valco also PM me and I will give you details.
[signature]
I just got called from local boat dealer and they called the manufacturer of my boat, you can't call them directly you have to go to the dealer.

Anyway they said they do not provide replacements for Liability reasons. She did say on my boat (Smokercraft) that they started putting a second capacity tag another part of the boat. Once I figure out boat lingo I will know where to look.

So, lose your tag you probably wont get another one but now I have a paper trail, via email that proves I tried to get one and I now know how to calculate it and I have that email with a name and email address with what they told me.
[signature]
[font "Arial-BoldMT"]
[left]I found this Utah's Boating Laws website. It has all the laws pertaining to boating. My boat is manufactured before then. I have never been checked, but I wonder if the officers are aware of this law.
[left]
[left][url "http://static.stateparks.utah.gov/docs/utahboatinglaw.pdf"]http://static.stateparks.utah.gov/docs/utahboatinglaw.pdf[/url]
[left]
[left]
[left](1)
[/font][font "ArialMT"]Each vessel manufactured after November 1, 1972, which is less than 20 feet in length, except
[/font][font "ArialMT"]
[left]a sailboat, canoe, kayak, inflatable vessel, or homemade motorboat must have a United States
[left]Coast Guard capacity and certification label permanently affixed to the vessel and clearly visible
[left]to the operator when boarding or operating the vessel. The capacity and certification information
[/font][font "ArialMT"]may be combined together and displayed on one label
[/font]
[signature]
[quote imoutahere2]I would then take these two numbers (total maximum number of people and total maximum weight limit number) and place them on a 3 x 5 index card with the formulas listed. I would keep this with your registration certificate that is required to be on your boat at all times.

I hope that this information will assist you and thank you for your interest in the Utah State Parks Boating Program. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me.[/quote][size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I applaud the fact that a state employee has actually tried to help a customer with what appears on the surface to be logical solution to an unfortunate circumstance (a missing capacity tag). And my sincerest hope is that following her advice will allow you to further enjoy the use of your watercraft. But just so you don’t get blind sided by an enforcement officer, you should be aware that her advice is not in compliance with the law. Here is the rest of the information concerning the label requirements.[/#800000][/font][/size]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4] [/size][/#800000][/font]
[quote utahboatinglaws][font "Times New Roman"]73-18-8.1. Capacity and certification label.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"](1) Each vessel manufactured after November 1, 1972, which is less than 20 feet in length, except a sailboat, canoe, kayak, inflatable vessel, or homemade motorboat must have a United States Coast Guard capacity and certification label permanently affixed to the vessel and clearly visible to the operator when boarding or operating the vessel. The capacity and certification information[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]may be combined together and displayed on one label.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"](2) No person shall operate, or give permission for the operation of, any vessel on the waters of this state if it is loaded or powered in excess of the maximum capacity information on the United States Coast Guard capacity label.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"](3) No person shall alter, deface, or remove any United States Coast Guard capacity or certification information label affixed to a vessel.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"](4) No person shall operate, or give permission for the operation of, a vessel on the waters of this state if the required United States Coast Guard capacity or certification information label has been altered, defaced, or removed.[/font] [/quote][size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Please note the highlighted words. A real hard line officer COULD prevent the use of a boat that did not “. . . have a United States Coast Guard capacity and certification label permanently affixed to the vessel and clearly visible to the operator when boarding or operating the vessel.” He could also issue a citation to any person found operating a boat “. . . if the required United States Coast Guard capacity or certification information label has been altered, defaced, or removed.”[/#800000][/font][/size]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4] [/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]I am NOT trying to discourage you from using your boat. I just want you to be aware that there is a risk, however small, that you could run into that officer who is having a bad day or just loves following the letter of the law to the maximum. I suspect that most of them will understand your situation and agree that you are doing your very best to comply with the law to the best of your ability. But Snidely Whiplash is out there and you could come face to face with him. I hope the fishing gods Smile on you every day and it never happens; but it could.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
so, after a lot of digging on the internet and reading through a LOT of posts on various boating forums it looks like the Coast Guard will not do anything about replacing the label, even though it sounds like it must be some kind of USCG approved label. Everything seems to say you would need to contact the boat manufacturer to get a new one. The problem is that boat mfg's come and go like the wind. I would guess that most of the boats around here that are made before, say, 1985 are from some manufacturer that doesn't exist anymore. Others sound like they pretty much refuse to replace the labels. They probably cite some liability reasons.

With that in mind, what really needs to be done here is some campaign to inform the lawmakers of this problem and have them provide some kind of solution for us. The current law would mean that many older boats out there are unuseable because they no longer have the label. It appears some states have a system where the state can certify and provide some replacement label using the USCG forumula mentioned earlier in this thread.

Unfortunately the legislative session just ended, but it would be good to get something like this in the works for next year.
[signature]
Hey Chef, do you have any idea where to find the Date on a fire Extinguisher(FE). Even though I think my FE is older than 10year I would think there should be a date on it somewhere[:/].
[signature]
I know it has been a long time since this post started.

But here is the response I got from Utah when I asked about a capacity decal:

Thank you for your interest in the Utah State Parks Boating Program. You may go to this website; [url "http://www.fishandboat.com/forms_boating.htm"]http://www.fishandboat.com/forms_boating.htm[/url]
and make application with the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission for a boat capacity plate. Utah State Parks do not produce capacity plates due to low requests that we receive from the boating public. We do have a verbal agreement with the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission to accept applications for a boat capacity plate from Utah residents.

Once again, thank you for your interest in the Utah State Parks Boating Program and if you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,
Chris Haller
Assistant Boating Program Manager

I hope it will help anyone else with this problem. I am mailing my application tomorrow, I will see what happens.
[signature]
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.
spare propulsion is only "required" on vessles under 21 feet. over that it is "strongly" recommended, whatever that means.
my theory is that it is probably not practical/possible to paddle a boat over 21 feet in length too efficiently making it a futile exercise in paddle-ology most likely resulting in congestive heart failure before the boat gets 20 feet from where it began. [crazy]
[signature]