Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rod/Reel advice
Hey everyone, I posted this in introductions, but I was curious to see if any one had an advice to give a noob. I am looking at getting a baitcaster (and possibly a decent rod) under $100. Does anyone have a suggestion? I was looking at them in the store, and I really cant tell a difference between a 6 and a 7 bearing system (but can between a 5&6) so I would like to stay in that area. I was practicing on an 8 which I didnt have anything to compare it to, so I dunno if its a huge improvement from a 7 or not.

Any suggestions will help.
[signature]
Simple rule to follow.

Anything above a 5 bearing is good.
[signature]
Ivan, I am a big fan of the Abu Garcia AmbasSador reels. They are only 4 bearings but are really smooth.

Another brand I have been buying lately is the new Pinnacles. I have one of the $52 Solenes from Wal-Mart which is a 7 bearing reel. It has been good for me and after using it for a little over a year. Over the weekend I bought a Pinnacle Vision XLT 13 bearing reel. I have yet to use it but playing around with it it is amazing.

A friend of mine bought a Pflueger from Wal-Mart for $60. It is a 7 bearing reel and it casts really smooth. I was really impressed by this reel when I threw it a couple times.

There is another reel there made by Pinnacle called the Inertia, Which I plan on picking up this weekend. it is an 8 bearing reel and seems to be a little smoother than my Solene.

As far as Rods go, Depending on how much you spend on a reel. Academy has good deals on All-Stars and Cast Aways for around $50, if You do not want to spend that much. I would look at the Abu-Garcia BCX medium heavy 7 foot.

They also have a combo with the BCX rod there and a Abu-Garcia BCX 6600 reel for $76, or a 5600 reel for $63
[signature]