Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mead Kayak Bassin' 4-14-09

Hit up Calville in the kayak yesterday at about 5:30am.

[inline "Lake Mead Bass 001.jpg"]

Paddled out to a "super-secret-honey-hole" for this beautiful smallmouth on my second cast.

[inline "Lake Mead Bass 002.jpg"]

The wind picked up real nasty - like 30+ MPH, and the swell was approaching 2.5 ft, so I went to "super-secret-honey-hole #2" and hit the beach.

I fished from shore for the next 2 hours, and did a number on the bass.

I landed 6 bass today- 1 smallmouth, 4 largemouth and one striper- all before 9am.
The weather was completely gnarly, but it was warm, and I had a great morning fishing- enjoy the pictures of my grizzly ass.

[inline "Lake Mead Bass 004.jpg"]

[inline "Lake Mead Bass 009.jpg"]

[inline "Lake Mead Bass 005.jpg"]

[inline "Lake Mead Bass 007.jpg"]

[inline "Lake Mead Bass 008.jpg"]

Waves were fun to ride

[inline "Lake Mead Bass 012.jpg"]
[signature]
Awesome report! Enjoyed the pictures.
BaySport
[signature]
[cool]Nice fish Whizzle! Its nice to see the bass come alive. Were they up shallow or on the points? I tried dropshotting for some on the weekend but no luck. Way to brave the wind.
[signature]
Hey Whizzle on your Kayak is it all muscle power or do you have a small motor too. I hate the winds I have had waves splash over into my boat and it scared the hell out of me. I tip my hat to you. Have you ever had an instance where the winds pushed out away from land. I always thought those things might be cool in a small little lake but just for me I'll stick to my boat. I enjoy the pics even if its just scenery
Cacoon
[signature]
Its all muscle power- Kayaks are actually well suited for the rough stuff- if you know what you are doing. Once you are comfortable on a kayak, it can be a very stable and effective fishing platform.

I have been out in some really nasty weather-

[inline "Tesssummer08 071.jpg"]

[inline "Tesssummer08 072.jpg"]

[inline "Tesssummer08 073.jpg"]

One time I took my wife out, and we hit some serious headwinds- 25-40 mph maybe- and she couldn't paddle through it. I ended up using a bunch of 65lb test to tie up to her, and I had to tow her in from about a mile offshore. Took like 2 hours of solid paddling to get in. That is probably one of the hardest things Ive ever done in my life. We all made it back safe, but she thought she was going to have to call the coast guard for a minute before I rescued her. [Wink]
[signature]
Very nice. I have just been getting into fishing Lake Mead and up until now all I have done is shore fishing with cut bait. That is about to change now that I have bought a canoe. Any recommendations or pointers for fishing by paddle?
[signature]
Rule #1 is to watch the weather reports. Don't get caught in something you might not be able to handle.

As far as fishing, if you like stripers, there will be some really good top-water fishing in late summer and fall, and that is usually within paddling distance. For now, I hear the stripers and catfish are hitting anchovies and prepared baits in water less than 50ft. You can always troll plugs around. Paddling makes for a good trolling speed.

I fish for bass mostly, but will get into the stripers when the boils erupt.

The bass fishing can be tough from a paddle-craft, cause you just can't cover as much water as you would like to- get used to your canoe before you start covering too much ground.

Don't forget-
[ul][li]Anchor w/ 100ft minimum anchor line
[/li][li]Good PFD[/li][li]Whistle or blow horn[/li][li]Proper lighting for early morning and late night fishing[/li][li]A good dry-box for keys, wallet, phone etc.[/li][li]Pliers / knife / waterproof lighter[/li][li]Beer[/li][/ul]And put some rod holders on that thing.

Welcome to motor-less fishing. It is serenity at its finest.

[inline "December 08 and January 09 115.jpg"]
[inline "December 08 and January 09 116.jpg"]
[signature]