Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard wipers
We headed out on the lake at 10 am. We caught 5 wipers between 1:30 pm and 3 pm. The sonar showed fish up in the water column when the water hit about 50'. After 3 the wind died down for a while and it was time to go eat. Bankers hours. Cold water. Spring fishing. My Brother had a chance to catch some of the fiesty stripped rockets. Totaly a nice day to be out there. I noticed lots of folks out fishing and enjoying the sun, giving a happy wave as we trolled by. I think spring is finally here.
[signature]
Nice fish, we went trolling by you over on the NW side and picked up a wiper just after we passed. I fillet the wiper and catfish and they will be lunch tomorrow at work.... Nice going and see you on the water next weekend.... Wife is telling me it is time to work on the yard so I must get it done before sunday... see you on the water...
[signature]
did they all come from trolling? I was thinking of heading out on the next few days, and have had very little experience fishing for them. If you don't mind sharing some of the hardware you were using that would sure help me out. I thought i would try rapalas, rattletraps, and crankbaits. Any help would sure be appreciated. Thanks and congrats on a nice haul.
[signature]
Maybe spring has finally sprung. I'm waiting for the wipers a bit cause i'm picking on the trout, but they like it cold...burrr! I can't wait to see seagulls in bombardment mode. Wipers, white bass, and stripers! Their all fun. I can't wait to get on the white bass in the tributaries to Utah Lake. They might not be all that big, but they sure put up a fight. You die hards that look for the right moment and give great reports to BFTrs' are a conglomeration of fishing experience. Thanks for the posts and tight lines to all of you that know what fishing is all about!
[signature]
If I am not mistaken, that was me that waved at you. I was in the 14' crestliner. It was my daughters first fishing trip and she out fished me 5-1. We were all Smiles as we passed you guys and trolled back towards the marina.
[signature]
It was pretty cool seeing all the different ways folks were pursuing the fish. I saw some catching going on. It was interesting having the the wife watching the sonar and when the fish moved up into the water from the bottom the catching really started. We trolled crank baits but the producers worked the best. A few fish were up along the west dike but not enough to keep us convinced it was worth staying there.So we ran down to freeway bay. We were trying to figure out if the people working the shore were fishing for crappies, bass or walleye. Either way when the water hit about 52' lots of fish moved up off the bottom. That was when the catching started. When the wind died down the fish settled back to the bottom. I got the recorder working on the fish finder now i have to figure out how to post screen shots. One thing for sure is just because you can see them doesn't mean you can catch them.
[signature]
We were ther from about 7:00 til 1:00. Started with a bilge plug incident (the water at 47 degress is pretty cold on the feet), but was able to take care of that at the ramp with a little embarrasement and just some cold feet. We tried trolling West, then North, then across the middle to the South dike, and then ended up making a couple of passes by the feed lot. Only one solid hit, but it waqs gone when I picjed up the rod. I think we left, just as the water temp was getting to 52 degrees. Oh well, at least the bugs weren't too bad.
[signature]