Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baitcaster & Braid (Please Help)
Hi

I have a Quantum Response Baitcaster, I really like it for its value and size. I have 10lb Spiderwire Braid on it, I am going to be using predominantly Cranks, jigs and spinners on it since it is a heavy rod.

Will 10lb braid cut the heavy cover I plan to fish? Should I put heavier braid on?

Thanks alot!
[signature]
I've used braid a few times and went back to mono and flourocarbon. Braid has it's advantages, especially in heavy cover, but I would not use it in open water for cranks. There is no stretch to the line and I found myself losing fish when they hit. That's about all the experience I have with braid. I was using 17# Spiderwire and that stuff WOULD NOT BREAK. I don't understand why people use 60+# braid when a smaller # test is so strong. Maybe somebody can answer that for me. 10# should be plenty strong, make sure you tie a knot that is suitable for braided line, it's been known to slip on conventional mono knots.
[signature]
I use 8-10lb Fireline or power pro on some of my rigs. 10lb is enough for bass fishing. Use a palomar knot for braided line it won't slip. Try to use it for weeds, but as stated use a mono or copolimer line for crankin.
[signature]
I've been experimenting with braid for the 2 years or so, and have learned a couple of things:
1. I hate spiderwire.
2. PowerPro or P-Line braid treats me well on both baitcasters and spinning rigs.
3. I use 15-20 lbs test, and usually attach a yard or so of appropriate sized flouro at the end with an allbright knot, especially when fishing clear water.
4. You'll be happier with it if you but on a few yards of mono when you put it on the spool. Less chance of it slipping that way. Again, use an albright knot to connect the two.
5. Adjust your drag accordingly. As has been mentioned in previous posts, little to no stretch in the line. You can compensate a bit by setting your drag loose, and then cranking it down as needed. Of course, if you are using 50# test line and pulling something out of a weed bed 10 yards out, probably not an issue.
7. If you snag up and try to get it out with your bare hands by grabbing the line, it will cut you nicely. Use gloves.
[signature]
Have you guys ever had the line sink straight to the bottom of your spool, ruining everything? I put it on once, set the hook and bound my reel up tighter than a bulls butt in fly season. Any tips on solving that problem, or just stick to mono on my baitcaster?
[signature]
Sounds like when it was spooled onto your reel it wasnt done correctly. ALL line needs to be spooled up very tightly so you dont get this problem. This is also true with both types of reels, although I havent ever had a problem with it on any of my spinning reels, I always like to make sure its tight on there too.

Try putting more tension on the new sppol of line, when reeling it in onto your reel for the first time. Or have a tackle shop spool it on. But make sure the person doing it knows what they are doing too, cause if they dont you will end up with the same problem.

I personally use mono on one rod just for topwater stuff. But my main rod is either wrapped with fireline crystal or spiderwire. I dont ever hardly use more than 15 lb test braid. 10 mono.
[signature]
I use 40-50 pound braid for everything except crankbaits. For crankbaits you need a mono in 8-12 pound test. The braid in 40-50 pound test handles all baits just fine and is useful in heavy cover, stumps, rocks, etc..

delawaretrophybass.com
[signature]