Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazing filet technique
I was surfing the Alaska outdoor forum doing some research for this summer (So stoked! [Image: happy.gif]) and found this thread a member posted on fileting fish. I figured I would take a look since I can't seem to filet anything without it resembling hamburger. The exception has been some perch this winter from Roberts using Windrivers technique and about 3-5 minutes per fish. Basically I was too chicken to try it on anything in the larger sizes like a big Henrys hybrid or a steelhead. But after checking out this photo instructional I'm going to have to give it a try!

http://www.ifish.net/board/showpost.php?...stcount=85
[signature]
Very nice. I will have to try that if I can catch a fish. Been slow lately and doing yard work is not helping either.
[signature]
I like the idea. But would take me probly a half hour on each side. I cant believe how clean he left that fish. I can get 20 inchers good and clean but not a fish that size.
[signature]
Belasko,

Thanks, I thought I had seen them all so was surprised to learn something new. This is obviously a big fish technique so don't try it on your 8" perch. By the way, there are techniques both with electric filet knife and manual knife that are fairly efficient for perch and bluegill. They are different for each though and the electric is slightly more wasteful. I remember about 2 minutes per fish with either technique (including washing, drying, packaging) but that the electric method is much easier on my back.

P.S. The technique on your link does not waste a morsel but I wonder if it is worth it to get the collar as he says. I think that I would just get a portion of the collar (the meaty part) and leave the collar and fin as waste.

FR
[signature]
Now, I can definitely see this with a large Steelhead or a Salmon, or even some ocean species, but when you talk TROUT or even that Henry's Lake Hybrid in the 30" + length, I got to think the fish is too old and would not be good eating at all. I don't think even smoking would help.
That is one reason I encourage release of the 30+ fish. Get the pictures and measurements for the fiberglass trophy, and let it go.
It taste bad and chances are, that big they are on their last season.
Just my opinion, and I don't judge others.

Now the Henry's 24" fed three of us quite nicely...Mmmmmmmmmm[Wink]
[signature]
i want to say we did something similar to this with the tuna we would catch when i worked out in the gulf of mexico. cant remember just remember something with a blood line.
[signature]
TUNA! Oh man, Now we are talking eatable fish!!!! Mmmmmmmmmmm
[signature]
oh ya!!! I had never had a fresh tuna until i worked out there. I figured they tasted like tuna fish out of a can. I would bring home proble 50 lb every 2 weeks.
[signature]
You are so making my mouth water......JEALOUS!

Heck I would pick up a bait casting or spinning outfit for TUNA....LOL
[signature]
we use to fish off the deck of the oil rig i was on. About 40 feet off the water, you could spot the schools. Our rig record was like 250 lb caught by this little 5"6 guy i use to have a pick of them side by side the fish was probly a foot taller than him.
[signature]
That would be freaky to experience, but one heck of a memory!
[signature]
i filet all my gills and pearch with electric filet knive..i go right down the side and take the ribs with it..then i cut the ribs and the skin off..its fast and i dont waste any meat..once you get used to using the electric fillet knive youll love it..i have 2 plug ins and a portable use them all..
[signature]
ya it was a helk of an experience, hard work, long hours. we worked 2 weeks on 2 off. We were about 300 miles off shore, in anywere from 6,000 to 12,000 ft of water. But the fishing was awsome. We would get mauhi mauhi, yellow and bluefin tuna. and tons of baracuda. we would get baracuda that would bite 25 lb tuna in half as you would bring them in.
[signature]
i have never used an electric fillet knife. Are they very hard to learn to use, i know alot of guys that use them and swear by them.
[signature]
your definitly going to butcher a few before you get the hang of it..but it is a much quicker fillet..be patiant..
[signature]
Lurtch,

Yes, your description is the same method that I use with the electric knife. I end up with a pork chop shaped fillet though that is maybe 10% smaller than manual knife where the shape is more normal fillet shaped because you get more off of the rib cage. But like I said, I still prefer the electric because it is less stressful on my back. I must get contorted with the manual method....

FR
[signature]
i just get my kid standing next to me with a regular fillet knive to take the ribs out..he helped catch em he can help clean em..
[signature]
My wife gripes when I try to have my kid do that. Something about a 2yr old having a knife the length of his arm or something[crazy]
[signature]
mine just turned 18..god im old..i still got college to pay for...
[signature]
lol got a good laugh out of me belasko
[signature]