Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weston 5/1
Though I'd heard Weston was muddy, I thought I'd stop by on the way to Deep Creek to see if it had cleared up. Well it's crystal clear now. I decided to search for trout and perch, so I took my 6wt and a micro light spinning rig. I figured it was too cold for the bass, so I left that gear in the car. Shortly after I entered the water, I was greeted by two rather curious and talkative loons. They didn't really seem afraid of me, so I missed my first hit while taking pictures of them. Around this time I noticed a lot of splashy rises. I had a feeling they were recently stocked rainbows, and I was right. I caught nine, mostly on my spinning rod and a 1/64 ounce jig with a 1" smoke/sparkle grub. I also took a couple on a purple mohair leech on the fly rod. I was actually rather surprised that they fought quite well for being so small. One went airborne 5 times. It was fun for a bit, but I decided to troll my way toward a spot where I had done well for larger fish in the past. I missed another fish and then I got into some shallow flats. There were perch eggs all over, so I switched rigs again. I got a hit along the transition between sand and weeds. It nearly doubled my tiny rod, so I knew it wasn't a perch. Well it was a nice surprise, a bass. It took a 1/32 oz jig with a 2" bubble gum grub. I took off the smaller dropper as it was only catching weeds anyhow. The shore began to drop off more steeply, and I hooked a few more bass and finally, a perch. Something broke me off on the strike, so I decided to try a larger 1/8 oz stump jumper (bass pro's roadrunner) in chartreuse with and orange head. About this time, I was approaching a nice point, and began to work it with the stump jumper. That did the trick. Surprisingly, a couple of the bass were only about a foot or two from shore. I only had about 20 minutes left before I had to leave, but I ended up with 11 bass in the 12-15" range. Not huge, but tons of fun on light tackle, and much better than expected for 51 degree water. I'll be heading back with more bass gear soon.
[signature]
Man, I miss fishing at Weston. It has been a long time since I have been there and need to get back soon. Deep Creek too. Great report!
[signature]
it looks pretty full in the pics how far from the spillway was it.
[signature]
It's getting up there. Maybe ten feet? Definitely some different structure to fish from last fall.
[signature]