Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mead Sunday 5-3
Launched out of Callville at about 4:30am. It was a BEAUTIFUL Sunday morning.
I can't believe how fast the water is dropping. Some islands (that were islands last week) are already attached to land. Callvilles' launch ramp isn't looking like it will last much longer.
I decided to do some bait-fishing, so I got some frozen herring (which is way too fu*kin expensive, at $10 a pack at Laker Plaza. I don't pay that much per pound for salmon fillets at the store) and some chovies. The thing is, I fished the herring and chovies side by side, and got hit more with the chovies...

Anyway, I started soakin bait with one pole, and casting a spook around with the other.

Got this guy pretty early-
[inline "fishing may 09 002.jpg"]

After that, I focused on the spook for a few, cause the bait wasn't getting hit. On one cast, my spook was quietly zig-zagging across calm water when a big wake appeared behind it. There was something serious following it. I kept the retrive steady, and he followed close enough to shore for me to get a look- It was a HUGE smallmouth!!! It followed for about 10 feet before it hit, and I was so anxious and ready for the strike, that I fudged it all up and set too early, effectively missing what could have been my biggest smallmouth yet. DAMN. -
As I recover from the profanity, my bell starts jingling, and I get this guy-
[inline "fishing may 09 005.jpg"]

A nice one for sure. I rebait, recast, and get back to working the Zara Puppy. A few casts later produced this beauty-
[inline "fishing may 09 003.jpg"]

The spook fishing slowed, and I went to focusing on bait-fishing. I was getting hit constantly by dinks, but I was fishing bigger bait to aim at some big guys, so every time I set the hook, I came up empty. I decided I just wanted to catch some fish, so I sized down on the rod, hook and bait, and started getting fish like this- in the 1lb class
[inline "fishing may 09 007.jpg"]

So I downsize on the gear, and what happens? I get hit by something BIG. Starts peeling line off my bass rig, and about 2 minutes in to the give and take -SNAP! DAMN AGAIN.
I re-tie, re-bait, and go at it. Again, Big hit, line peels off my spool, and SNAP!
TWO FISH IN A ROW BROKE ME OFF!!!!!!
I was gettin mad. I tore the line off that rig, respooled on the water, and kept fishing. I dont even think the line needed to be replaced, but I had to do something to make me feel better.
From there, It was steady action on small stripers, with no more big mofos. This guy joined the party-
[inline "fishing may 09 006.jpg"]

All in all I got 12 about a pound, one bigger guy, the smallmouth, and the cat.
I should have had an epic day, but things were not working in my favor; some I messed up, some things were out of my control, I guess. All in all, a fun day on the water, despite all the frustrations. Off the water by noon.
[signature]
Nice report, to bad you got broke off. That usually happens when you downsize line. Get more bites with lighter line
[signature]
[cool]Great report!! Nice to tag team with the puppy and bait. Also nice to hear that there is more topwater happening. Too bad on the BFBO(big fish break off). That gets me a little agitated also. I'll be out later this week to try the flyrod for the early top bite and then kick around with the usual suspects as far as lures go. I think I'll try the bait and wait for lunchtime on one of the many "new" islands.
[signature]
Very nice report Whizzle. I remember a couple years ago @ Calville I was able to launch my boat but not able to get it back out of the water cause of the mud. My truck is only a 2WD and it just kept spinning. Luckily there was enough gas in the boat to drive it to Boulder harbor where my friend drove the truck and trailer and I was able to get the boat out there. So then they revamped the launch ramp and it was decent at least for last year or so. If you cant use the launch ramp at Calville it is really going to hurt their business because people like me wont go there if I cant launch my boat. This whole sinking lake level thing is a bummer. Someday its just going to be a river again or worse just a mudhole. On the brighter side I am looking forward to fishing soon. May thru July have always been my best months on lake Mead.[fishin]
[signature]
Great report, nice pictures.

I fished the herring and chovies side by side, and got hit more with the chovies.

I've tried about every bait you can think of in Lake Mead and liked herring the least. Not enough bang for the bucks. Frozen shad is my first pick, of course you have to catch it yourself, frozen anchovy a close second. Shrimp and squid are tied for third. Sardines are okay. Sorry I'm rammbling.........
BaySport
[signature]
Ive done well with squid, and as much as Ive tried to tell myself that sardines will do better than chovies, it just doesn't seem to be the case- those stripers really like the chovies- i wont be buying the herring again.
[signature]