Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
question about keepers
hi

so here is what I got

The stream i fish has a 9" min. on keepers. The other day I Sadly gill hooked a little 6" trout. I released the fish because the law says I should even though I knew its chance of surviving was low. I confess I don't fish barb-less when I am fishing for dinner. What would you do in that case. I don't want to take a fish that is under size but at the same time I feel if my catching the fish will hurt it in that fashion the least I could do is eat it and not just let it die.[frown] Like i said I fallowed the law but what are your thoughts

peace
[signature]
if im bait fishing for dinner..i always use aberdeen lite wire hooks..if one swollows it..i clip the line just above the hook then release the fish..these hooks acctualy disolve quite quickly and dont seem to affect the trouts feeding..an old trout fisherman taught me this a long time ago..
[signature]
I know you should cut the line the you "gut hook" and the fish takes it deep but like I said he got it right in the gills
[signature]
sorry for the misunderstaning..i think eating the fish is your best option..the rules were not made with this problem in mind..
[signature]
its not worth the price of the fine to take the undersized fish. Just let it go and give it a chance slim or none. I have let bull trout go that just about sink like a rock but there is no way i am going to take the chance.
[signature]
im more likely to take the chance depending on were im at..hate to waste a trout like that..
[signature]
in some of our small streams they have made it a 16 inch or bigger limit on cutthroat but you could fish all day on those same streams and never catch one that big. They just arnt in there. But if your fishing with a worm alot of those fish come in bleeding and probly die. I would like to see them make the streams that have the size limits atrifical and barbless. Then you wont kill as many fish. Just my 2 cents. not worth much but take it for what its worth.
[signature]
i ussally dont damage to many..just dont wait to long to set the hook..and be carfull removeing it.if they do swollow it clip the line the hook will desolve..of course im ussally on a brokie stream fishing for dinner so i always keep a few..
[signature]
I live in Washington state and our regulations are so incredibly complicated I do not fish for salmon, steelhead or sturgeon because it seems like the rules are different for every peice of water and "this side of the bouy it is OK" and "that side of the river it is not" it is not worth it to me. There are also some very nice waters here that only fly fisherman can fish. And some you have to have barbless single hooks and then there is the new anti-snagging laws that I really do not understand.

The point is we are regulated to the point where I almost do not want to go fishing, so to create more "rich guy" streams where you have to have barbless hooks and no bait and you can not feed your family with what you catch is not a good answer...for me.

And that is my $.02 and yes, you get what you pay for LOL.
[signature]
yep..its always the same..they cater to the guy they think will spend the most..winers get what they want..nice guys follow the rules..or try.
[signature]
"so to create more "rich guy" streams where you have to have barbless hooks and no bait and you can not feed your family with what you catch is not a good answer...for me. "

Not sure i understand why a rich guy and afford a barbless hook or a fly but a poor guy cant. But i am with ya All but the snagging law.
[signature]
Sorry about the rant, but I just want to fish. The " 'rich guy' streams" refer to the places that are closed to everyone except the fly fisherman who can afford the $300 set-up. Sure you can bargain basement the pole and line and all the rest, but if you want equipment the works well...lets just say I can not afford it. One of the ways I justify being able to spend what I do on fishing is that we eat what I catch and it supplements the food budget. I know there are a lot of 'big boat' fishermen on this site that can afford to go out and enjoy fishing and not worry too much about the expense and I think that is great and I hope that someday I will too...but I do not see it happening.
As far as my comment on the snagging rules I think that there needs to be rules and I do not keep foul-hooked fish because that is not fishing. I was commenting on the complexity and sweeping restrictions made in Washington state. Personally I think it is Sad that we even NEED snagging laws, but we do.
[signature]
ive found that what we call lineing em..catches more salmon then snaging them..its legal in all watters becouse your using a fly and a single point hook..and will out produce alot of methods when fishing salmon..you might get dirty looks from the traditional fly fisherman..thell get over it...
[signature]
would you care to elaborate on this?
[signature]
There are a lot of guys on the local Washington State forum I read that gripe about the guys that are "lineing" or "flossing" the get salmon.
From what I understand you have a leader about eight or twelve feet long and hope that the line passes through a random salmons mouth and then you floss it up to where the hook catches their mouth. If it is legal or not it just does not sound like "fishing" to me.
[signature]
i think youve got the idea..wether you relize it or not most of the salmon that are in the rivers cannot eat.there trought actually sweels shut..so the salmon that are hooked in this situation are all hooked this way wether your trying to or not...still beats tying on a snagging hook..[fishin]
[signature]