Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baitcastin'
I bought a baitcaster last year, and the rod screwed up, and I haven't used it until last Thursday. One of my coworkers convinced me that baitcasters were WAY better than spinning, and so I took it out, and low and behold, I landed a 3 pound bass. Anywho, today I bought a Browning Fish Stalker baitcast combo. So now I'm fishing 2. I quickly learned to thumb it, and I have become quite adept at it, fishing tonight in the dark with maybe one minor backlash.

So the question, just to make sure I don't screw myself, if I back off the spool tension knob, the farther I can cast the lure, correct? Oh, and trust me, I'm not gonna back the thing off all the way and try to hit a home run or something. I'm being very cautious about it, because I'm avoiding backlash at any cost. I backed off on it a little bit tonight, and it went very well.
[signature]
Hey Bro. That is a decent combo to start off with. Practice will make a lot of difference. You will learn how to adjust the cast control on the left side of the reel and get it ballanced with the over run knob on the right side (opposite on a left wound reel)

You can hone your skills at home with a 3/8oz practice casting plug. Adjust your settings to where you can put your full swing into a cast without without back lash.

You will need slight adjustments depending on the weight you are using on the water. Later on, you will develope a good technique that will allow you to set it lighter and cast any size weight that you have without adjustment and only slight thumb pressure for best control.

Practice, practice, practice [cool]
[signature]
I'm pretty good at it. I can put my whole swing into it just fine. the left cast control...it is set on 10. what is going to happen if i lower it? I've been backing off on the right side knob, i guess the spool tension, but leaving the left side alone.

also, beside the left side knob, there is a little button with the browning buck mark logo on it...what does that button do?
[signature]
That little button is to put the levelwind back on track. Since most reels don't have a true tracking mechanism, your spool will acutually spin while casting but the levelwind will stay still.
That button allows you to reposition the level wind so that it will start respooling where you want it to.[cool]
[signature]
You ever seen Jeff Dunham? when he does his puppet "Peanut", there's usually a little segment where peanut does the "eeeeeeeeeeeoooohhhhhhhng" thing, as in right over the head? that's what just happened lol. I don't know what a levelwind is, nor do i understand the mechanics of what you're talking about. I'll have to do some research, so as not to drive you guys nuts lol
[signature]

[signature]
the level wind is what moves your line back and forth on the spoolso it dont all wrap up in 1 place...ignore the other post ..i messed up and dont know how to fix it..
[signature]