Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why Rainbow Trout
I was just taking a look at the DWR stocking report. One thing stands out over all the rest. The Utah DWR is pro rainbow trout. About 95 percent of what gets stocked in Utah is the Rainbow Trout. Why? Dont get me wrong I like to catch trout for my smoker any time I can. But, I think there could be more effort to increase the diviersity of the fish species here in Utah. Is there something I'm missing..... Is there a need for that many Rainbow Trout? If anyone knows why this has beome the mainstay of the Utah DWR, I would like to hear about it.

As a amature fisherman I enjoy catching as many diffrent species of fish as possible. I think a step in the right direction would be to increase the numbers of other types of trout. IMHO the tiger trout is not only a beautiful and tasty trout, but also a scrappy fighter. I relize the DWR has increased the number of Tiger Trout in the past few years. But I would like to see even more diverstiy.

There are many species that live in Utahs waters that are not native. I'm not sure the Rainbow is native. but all these species co-exsist already so why not expand where we can to increase the diversity of fish species in the behive state.
[signature]
Cost. Rainbows are easy to breed and they grow relatively fast. They are also easy to transport when young and they'll live in a wide range of waters and eat a wide variety of food.
[signature]
There a good food source for are big predators [Wink]

Really though is people like to catch and take,That's why they plant the rainbows,and put slots on most the other trout species

fnf[cool]
[signature]
So sounds like cheap hearty food for big predetors including the oposable thumb type. [:p]

I still would like to see the scales tipped in the diversity direction... But i guess beggers cant be.... er wait, These are my tax and licence dollars at work.
[signature]
[#500000]I'm not sure if they even have a tiger trout program, other than buying them from Barkers trout farm in North Ogden?.......................WW.[/#500000]
[signature]
i agree with you, rainbow trout do get annoying after a while. most of the time they have a nasty taste and eat evrything from powerbait to airsoft bb's. i would like to see more bass in utah they are hard fighters and tasty to eat. but i guess our wishes wont be granted.
oh and there is a program for tiger trout but just like the strawberry cutts they have limits and are only stocked in a few places.
[signature]
Rainbows can be reliably sterilized so they don't interfere with the native gene pool. That gives you something to catch and take home that won't be able to spawn against those native cuts that are trying to propagate there old habitat. Some assessments for some waters I think requires only sterile fish be stocked. Plus the numbers can be controlled as far as how the stocked fish numbers are affecting native stocks. i haven't read the management plan for any of the Utah waters but I think I will have to take the time and try to find it and read up on it some. Should be a good read.
[signature]
Step back in time to when the planting of trout began.

As a fish with color to draw the attention of kids the Rainbow trout has hi appeal.
It will eat just about anything offered so thats appealing for planting in family fisheries because anyone can catch them with minimal effort or fishing skills.
[signature]
The most low maintenance fish. You dont need a boat, you can use a wide variety of tackle, easy to catch. Someone said it earlier, but cost effective as well. Gotta love em' though, if you have kids, thats where its at. Great place to start.
[signature]
[#500000]Where is this DWR Tiger Trout program at? [/#500000]
[signature]
I totally understand what you are talking about. I caught nothing but rainbow trout until I was 10, then I caught an 8 inch brookie. I was so excited[Wink] anyways, it seems like as I have fished Utah more and more, I've realized there is more diversity then I realize. Just this past year I've caught perch, muskie, brown trout, brook trout, two types of catfish and a whitefish or two. I think it's all a matter of where you go. I don't fish the reservoirs that are stocked with rainbow trout very often. I do agree that 95% is a pretty big number though.
[signature]
[quote happybob91] I think it's all a matter of where you go. I don't fish the reservoirs that are stocked with rainbow trout very often. I do agree that 95% is a pretty big number though.[/quote]

It really is a matter of where you go because there really is a lot of diversity out there right now. There are PLENTY of places to fish for something other than trout.

I think it is unfair to judge the fishing possibilities in Utah and the intentions of the DWR by their stocking reports. To understand what I mean, consider a few of the species that you don't see on the stocking report, for example, channel cats. When they are introduced into a suitable water, their natural reproduction is enough to meet demand. White bass is another fish that does plenty good on its own. When the water is suitable many other species like perch, crappie,and blue gill also do well on their own. The main point here is that many species don't need to be stocked once they are established. So just because you don't see them listed on the stocking report doesn't mean that they aren't there to be caught and that the DWR is ignoring them. Trout can't naturally reproduce as easily as warm water species, so they need the help (especially the sterile ones Smile ).

There are two other points to consider as well: I am not trying to start a fire... but the plain truth is that many waters in Utah are best suited for trout. Hence, it is only natural that trout are the most likely to be stocked. Secondly, the other plain truth is that the average fisherman in Utah still prefers trout. So the DWR meets that demand with the most cost effective trout they have, the rainbow.

I know that on this forum there are many warm water fisherman, and that is great, but when you consider the big picture and all the casual fishermen, when they think of their occasional fishing excursion, they are thinking of trout.

That is why trout are stocked more than anything else. To me it make sense.
[signature]
[quote WaveWolf][#500000]I'm not sure if they even have a tiger trout program, other than buying them from Barkers trout farm in North Ogden?.......................WW.[/#500000][/quote]

What are you talking about? The DWR has a Tiger Program, almost every hatchery in the state Raises tiger trout and a fair number of them at that. There is more and more request for tiger trout and are slowly replaceing Brook trout in many High mountian lakes. The DWR does not buy trout eggs or trout from anybody, they have a brood station where they spawn Brook trout and Brown Trout to make tigers. All tigers that are stocked are under 5" most of time they are 3" .
[signature]
did you know that a tiger trout can acctualy reproduce but its offspring will always be either be a brown or a brookie never a tiger again..
[signature]
That's interesting Lurch I thought they were sterile.

Thanks for all the replies, so it would seem there are others that would like to see more diversity beside myself.

Another good point about some of the other species of fish self sustaining.

So I guess the next question would be why spend money to raise sterile fish when we could stock fertile fish and let nature manage them??

I relise this would not be an option for communtiy ponds and the like but larger bodies might benfit from this.
[signature]
Tiger Trout are sterile, they are naturally sterile plus they heat shock when they are eggs to make sure they are sterile.
Sterile fish are stocked because they are used as a management tool, they can have native Species like Cutthroat and protect them while allowing you to harvest sterile fish like tigers and rainbows (just like the sterile rainbows in strawberry). they give anglers more fishing opportunity. Plus nature could never keep with most of these lakes with the amount of fish people keep. Look at the Uinta lakes fish aftr fish are hauled out of there, no amount of natural recruitment could keep up with that.
[signature]
Bring on the Alligator Gar! ! ! ! ! ! !
[signature]
we get mostly brown around here for stream stocks..all the rainbows are of the lake run varaity..id like to catch something besides browns..in our steams..at least the rainbows are worth eating..
[signature]
[quote pkred]
As a amature fisherman I enjoy catching as many diffrent species of fish as possible.

I'm not sure the Rainbow is native. but all these species co-exsist already so why not expand where we can to increase the diversity of fish species in the behive state.[/quote]

As an "amateur fisherman" it appears that you simply need to broaden your thinking and diversify where you fish. The diversity of fish species and fishing opportunities in Utah is enormous![cool]

Within two hours of my house I can catch Rainbows, Browns, Brooks, Tigers, Splake, Albinos, and at least two different types of Cutthroats. Let alone the many many diffferent non-trout varieties like Channel Cat, Bullhead, White Bass, Smallmouth Bass, Largemouth Bass, Crappie, Bluegill, Yellow Perch, Walleye, Tiger Muskie, and Wipers.

Seems like a lot of diversity to me.[Wink]
[signature]
C'mon DWR, stock the trout in highland lakes and rivers but give us a warm water fish stocking program as well!
[signature]