Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pelican
Wanted to make at leased one trip to Pelican this year...
The trip over was long but when we got to the lake it was Sad...No clear water, it was all stained the carp was all over the lake...The big moss beds was not there and it was hard to fish right....

We did catch lots of bass and blue gills but the muddy water all but looked like Utah lake....

The biggest bass was 1 1/2 to 2lb and the biggest bluegill was 1.4 lb (when weighted) and all fish are still swimming...
[signature]
[quote bassrods]Wanted to make at leased one trip to Pelican this year...
The trip over was long but when we got to the lake it was Sad...No clear water, it was all stained the carp was all over the lake...The big moss beds was not there and it was hard to fish right....

We did catch lots of bass and blue gills but the muddy water all but looked like Utah lake....

The biggest bass was 1 1/2 to 2lb and the biggest bluegill was 1.4 lb (when weighted) and all fish are still swimming...[/quote]

Fish Right??? 80# and a frog. That's what you need to find the 5# fish.
[signature]
Well, that's kind of a Sad report of the lake. It's one of my old favorites and would be going every year if it wasn't for the distance. $ and my age. 1.4 # blue is very big. Good on ya. I bet it was buggy! [laugh]
[signature]
We tried frogs and a lot more, both in the reeds and out in deep water (7') was the deepest we could find...
[signature]
No bugs wile on the water, but off we had a few biters...

Its one of the lakes I loved to fish, but the carp made it not worth the trip...
[signature]
It's been 2-3 years since I've been there, but I don't remember carp, at least not very many. Carp are the death knell for many fisheries. [mad][mad][mad]
[signature]
How did the carp get in there ??? This is the first I have heard that they are there. That is why you don't have the weed beds, the carp rooted them up !!
stuiped carp .... we should just get everyone together and put some dents in the carp population
[signature]
Great idea! Let's set a date and do a big car pool down there and catch carp!
[signature]
I think it was three or four years ago I first seen them...

What a shame..
[signature]
[quote Therapist]How did the carp get in there ??? This is the first I have heard that they are there. That is why you don't have the weed beds, the carp rooted them up !![/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]According to the fisheries biologist in the area, they come down the Ouray Canal...along with some catfish. There have been a few carp in Pelican for years. Until the last couple of years the predators have eaten enough baby carp to keep them in check. But, evidently, the balance has tipped and the carp are winning. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Repent. The end of Pelican is near.[/#0000ff]
[signature]