Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tying flies ????
So Im thinking about starting to ty some flies (woolly buggers) just for start and fun .

There are some good looking tying starter kits on ebay
for like $ 75.00
[Image: 9e_1_b.JPG]
I know that after spending money on materials and tools
and everything, it just may not be wort it. But I think that
the fun factor is wort it.
What do you think ?

Peter
[signature]
peter..

what all is included in that kit on ebay and who makes it??

also, as for tying materials.. check your local or online fly shops.. they usually carry fly tying kits that include all the material you need to make a bunch of flies.. usually for under 20.00... depending on where you would buy your material.. 20.00 or less for one of these kits can be wll worth it..

MacFly
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]You are bidding on one Deluxe Vice complete with tool Kit . This Kit contains a vise that can hold hook sizes 6/0 to size 32. Just squeeze the handle to open the jaws and then release for a secure fit. The rotary offers you 360 degrees rotation for viewing your flies at all different angles. Similar vises retail for over $100.00 in major catalogs all by themselves. The kit contains a presentation wooden box with a set of Fly tying tools and a Vise. Each box contains: 1 Deluxe vise, and pedestal base, Hair stacker, Rotary hackle pliers, bobbin, scissors, hackle pliers, bodkin, half-hitch tool, whip finisher, bobbin threader, dubbing twister. International orders contact us before bidding for rates. We accept Pay Pals. We combine shipping on multiple orders.[/size][/font]
[signature]
just remembered a couple of things..

I bought a similar kit a few years back and ended up upgrading three items..

a better vise (rotary)

a rotary whip finish tool (one with the kit was non rotating and I found it to be a PITA to use)

and ceramic bobbins...

my upgrades cost me a little more than the original cost of the kit..

MacFly
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Since the vise is your primary tool it should be sturdy enough to with stand repeated opening and closings. Couldn't ID the vise so I don't know what you would be getting. Maybe FGD has a clue. I started out with a starter kit but the vise was Dyna-King Kingfisher which has served me well.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I think the vise will be alright. It looks like a REGAL that look just like that and as stated, sells for about 3 times that.
Tools look pretty good also although I don't like the spring whip finisher, but it also is what you learn on that feels more at home. So if I had learned on that whip tool might be a different story.

On the rotary portion of the vise...is there an arm to hold your thread and bobbin when spinning or is it just to turn the fly at different angles?
I guess you won't know that till you buy it, right.
If it is a rotary with the arm, then doing dubbing loops are much easier.

Cost part...no you really don't save money on making your own instead of buying. What you do gain is you can make any fly at any time. And you will learn certain combinations that work.

Like the ORANGE Griffith that is going to KICK FISH BUM this weekend![cool]
[signature]
thank you for your reply everyone. I think I may go with
that kit and see what happens. Its only $ 75.00.
There is still more homework I have to do so no rush.

Peter
[signature]
[center][font "Century Gothic"][#008000][size 3][Image: dumb.gif][/size][/#008000][/font][font "Century Gothic"][#008000][size 3]Hey Peter [/size][/#008000][/font][font "Century Gothic"][#008000][size 3]isn't that the opening bid price ?
[/size][/#008000][/font]
[/center]
[signature]
I concur with FG on the whip finisher tool.. here is why..

I found the spring loaded one like in this kit almost impossible to do anything with.. it doesnt rotate so you have to "twirl" it in your fingers to get the right motion with it.. and its very hard to twirl it and keep the right tension and thread angle to correctly do a whip finish..

a decent rotating finisher makes it so much easier.. one .. setting up the "triangle" is much easier.. keeping tension on the thread.. and maintaining the correct thread angle with the bobbin (parallel with the fly) is so much easier.. and because it rotates (turns inside the handle).. doing the is easier (you dont have to spin it in your fingers) .. and lastly.. relasing the thread to tie off the whip finish is soooooooo easy..

I took to using the rotating one like a fish takes to water.. [laugh]

to me spending a few dollars for that tool is well worth the money..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]If one doesn't like using a whip finisher, spring or other wise, you can use a bodkin or other tools that have a hole on the handle end to tie on half hitches. Although it is somewhat difficult to build up a smooth & tapered head tying on one half hitch at a time.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
that is true.. but didnt someone say once (I honestly dont remember who).. that you can build up the head and then tie it off with half hitches.??

either way.. you are right.. there are alternative ways to tie a fly off .. even without tools..

a search of the internet will bring up a variety of videos that show how to do a whip finish with and without (primarily English tiers from what Ive seen) tools of any kind.. a whip finisher or a bodkin.. just fingertips :-)

btw.. the finisher I prefer to use is a [url "http://www.lakelandflytying.com/2629/products/Matarelli_Whip_Finisher.aspx"]martarelli[/url].. costs about 15 bucks (I think) at almost any fly fishing store.. dr slick also carries a similar model for less than 10 bucks at bob marriotts for one..

MacFly
[signature]
Its buy it now $75.00 + $11.05 shipping.
[signature]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][blush]My bad - bid $70 buy now $75. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[/center]
[signature]
WOW! Well if it helps, there is over $35. worth of tools, and MY vises were both over $100. each. I have a Renzetti Traveler and a Vosseler.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: dumb.gif]I wonder why the sellers don't provide the product names of the various tools? I mean if it is a Regal vise and Dr Slick tools, well they one should be all over that kit like a duck on a June Bug.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
So, I take it that you guys think that is a good deal..........

Maybe I should just go for it.

Peter
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][img]../../../images/gforum/dumb.gif[/img]I doubt if that is a Regal vise as they don't make one with a thumb screw on the end. I'm sure it's a knock off. BTW Cabelas has kits starting at $29.95. Can't imagine that the vise would be very durable.But check around to see what others have to offer.
[/size][/#008000][/font]

[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Might want to consider a good fly tying instructional book. Like Fly Tying Made Easy for Beginners by Randall Kaufmann. And there are other books worth while considering too. I'm sure others have their favorite.
[/size][/#008000][/font]

[center][inline fly-tying-made-easy-front-200.jpg]
[/center]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]
[/size][/#008000][/font]

[signature]
Yes, book for sure. I may buy a book before I get
anything alse just to help me see if I really want to get
into tying fies.

Peter
[signature]
My friend Eric and I went to the fly shop yesterday
to get some fly lines for him. I looked at the vises
over there.Yes, very nice stuff but $200-$350 for a vise
and $20 - $50 for each tool. I dont know about that.........
If that was my only choice , I would never start tying
flies.
I do like to buy good stuff but just to start......................[:/]

Peter
[signature]