Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
anyone know how to whiten yellowed plastics?
I finally decided my fishing stuff had gotten way too cluttered and am going through it and organizing everything better and discovered a bunch of white perlescent plastics that have yellowed and was wondering if anyone has had any success in whitening their plastics. I hate to throw them away and will probably try to fish them as is if I can, but would prefer to whiten them back up if it won't ruin them for fishing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have been searching online, but can't seem to find any info.
Jed Burton
[signature]
[#500000]I don't know how bad they are, but try mixing some baking soda and toothpaste......Then brush them with an old tooth brush...............WW.[/#500000]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Jed, there is no GOOD way to restore white or pearl plastics to pristine condition. Over time they degrade with heat, moisture, UV radiation and airborne pollutants. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Howsomever, if you like to use chartreuse plastics, buy some chartreuse plastic lure dye and apply it to the dull white or pearl. Beautiful. And they work fine.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can also make some combo colors, like red and chartreuse, purple and chartreuse, black and chartreuse, etc. Or, if you have some good sharpie fine point markers you can add spots, lines or vertical bars and the dull white or pearl does not make so much of a difference.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The one suggestion is to put the faded glory plastics in a non-reactive plastic container and color up only what you plan to use on the trip. Any color other than pure chartreuse will "bleed" into the white or other colors over time. And, always keep the custom colored stuff rolled up in a piece of napkin to keep the colored parts from touching other plastics. All additive colors will "migrate" onto other plastics of different colors. But, coloring otherwise useless plastics into hot new patterns is a great way to get more of your money's worth.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I'll second TD about the chartreuse dye if you are applying your jigs for a fish such as white bass or crappy but if white is the color du-jour then jigs with slight discoloration aren't a huge concern because they tend to work just as well.
[signature]