Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6 mile bridge may be created across Utah Lake
[url "http://utahcrossing.com/5.html"]http://utahcrossing.com/5.html[/url]

I wonder if this goes through (and is badly needed as anyone who's ever driven west from I-15 to the west side of Utah Lake), I wonder if it'd provide some extra structure and good fishing for bass and/or catfish?
[signature]
[font "Courier New"][#000050][size 3]Yeah, the extra structure would be good for breeding and getting the numbers of fish up (also, isn't there an endangered fish in there, too? that would be good for it!)
Though I highly doubt they'll let you fish from the bridge. Even foot traffic bridges usually have that rule, so I'd figure a 6-lane highway would be even more prohibitive.

[/size][/#000050][/font]
[signature]
I sincerely hope this bridge happens. Only problem is I'm almost 70 & doubt I'll live to see it finished.
[signature]
That's where I always figured a bridge would make sense, from Vineyard to Pelican Point. I could get to the Knolls a lot faster! Yes, that would be a LOT of new structure for white bass etc. I live in northern Utah County and I can say that traffic gets absolutely horrible around Lehi at times, so I have to say bring it on.
[signature]
Who would have thunk it? The tree hugger looney tunes are already screaming like a mashed cat about all the irreparable damage this bridge will cause the whole world.
[signature]
Why not make it a floating bridge similar to that on Lake Washington in Seattle? just a thought!
[signature]
why build a floating bridge when the lake is only 8 feet deep?
[signature]
ok, build a non floating bridge and drive under water.[Wink]
[signature]
I guess what I mean is that it seems like a floating bridge would be more expensive than a traditional bridge with pilings. especially when the lake is shallow. I would think that a floating bridge supporting that much weight would also ride very low in the water, utah lake probably isn't even deep enough to support a floating bridge. But I'm no engineer.
[signature]
I'm being fecetious. I think they are nuts. Either way who knows if it will help or not.
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]

I think they are nuts. Either way who knows if it will help or not.

[/quote]

You apparently haven't driven through Lehi lately. This bridge is desperately needed.
[signature]
I believe it's "facetious" and I believe (my opinion) you are wrong. Lehi traffic from I-15 to Redwood sucks like a tornado in Kansas, you hope it won't happen every time but sure 'nuff, there it goes again....another access point would do wonders to the west side of UL.
[signature]
A 'floating' bridge in Utah Lake would not float. The weight of the bridge and cars would press it firmly into the mud anyway. The floating bridges here on Lake Washington are made of huge concrete pontoons, that are taller than Utah Lake is deep. [cool]

One thing a bridge would do would cut off North/South access on the lake. In other words, if you launch in AF or Lindon, you couldn't get to Bird Island. And if you launched in Provo or Lincoln Beach, you couldn't get to the North end. That is, unless they build it up high at least at some portion of it to allow boats to pass underneath.

The floating bridges on Lake WA have a 'drawbridge' to let ships through, although I've never seen it open. I assume they only allow that in the middle of the night when there's no traffic.
[signature]
Thanks for the insight. For the others, a bridge might (or would help) the traffic problem. I am not against it. Just that I find it interesting that they want to build one now after so many years that they haven't needed one. Could it be that the short sightedness of the developers and the county could be to blame???
[signature]
Don't spend much time on this board so I haven't seen this post till now. The bridge across Utah Lake would be nice, but has little chance of ever being built for many reasons. The biggest one is the substrate of the lake. Pilings would have to be sunk to bedrock, which means extreme cost. It would also have to be high enough to allow flow between upper and lower ends of the lake as all the water coming in, comes from the south ( Provo & Spanish Fork Rivers ) and the outflow is at the Jordan River on the North end. Restricting the flow would put the water users over the edge. It would also increase the salinity of the north end and reduce that of the south end.

Our favorite endangered fish, the June Sucker,, would also be affected, so that is another nail in the coffin.

So, although a good idea, untill we develop anti gravity beams to levitate such a structure off the surface, it ain't going to happen.
It would be cheaper to build a 4 lane bypass around Lehi. Bridges are very expensive. Basically you would have to create the ground, then build the highway on top of it with an elevated section in the middle, or as was mentioned, drive pilings to bedrock for the entire length.

Dream on, will never happen.
[signature]