Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fishing rod
i am pretty new to fishing and i dont know much about rods. i have great luck using a weightless worm but also have some luck with cranks. i like to try different things but my two most common techniques is weightles worm and a jig so i was wondering what pole actions i want for example light medium or hard i think it goes and how long of a pole. idk much about it so i figure i would ask

thanks guys
[signature]
I think you should start out with a m/h 7' rod for cranking, and a 7'6" for flippin and jigin . Price range 75-90 dollars i have fishing for bass, walleye, north pike, stripe,hy bred for 36years. I go twice a week or more, just ask i will help. GOOD LUCK.
[signature]
I use a M/H for single hook baits like worms. Med/fast action for my cranking. Some makes are deceving as one med pole I have is stiff and a great worm rod as well.
[signature]
ok thank you guys very very much
[signature]
Crankbaits:

You can throw your cranks with a cheaper rod. I throw all high end stuff now, but I wouldn't mind throwing cranks with an Ugly Stik. A good crankbait rod should have a moderate or medium fast action. Rods with slower actions (like moderate or medium fast) will have some give to them so you're not ripping treble hooks out of the fishes' mouths. I like throwing crankbaits a long way, so I wouldn't get anything less than a 7' rod. As far as the power goes, you have to pick a lure range that suits you. Don't get a medium/heavy if you're going to be throwing 200 series Bandits most of the time, opt for the medium instead. If you're going to be throwing a lot of 1/2 oz crankbaits, get a medium/heavy.

Worm/Jig:

Almost the opposite idea as the crankbait rod... you need a rod with enough stability to get a good hookset. You also need a rod that's light and sensitive enough to detect a light bite. I fish a lot of T-Rigs on a 7' Loomis Mag Bass GLX rod, which is about the furthest thing from an Ugly Stik on planet earth. I wouldn't go with a 7'6" flipping stick if you're going to be making full casts with the rod. Flipping sticks are cool for hauling big fish out of thick salad, but they're hard to cast and generally a lot heavier than regular casting rods. If you want to hook yourself up with a fairly nice jig/worm rod for about $70 or $80, find a Shimano Clarus in the size and action you want... I'd recommend medium/heavy power and a fast action for fishing braided line or an extra-fast action for fluoro or monofilament... no shorter than 6'6" and no longer than 7'2" would give you an ideal worm and jig rod.
[signature]
Good details, but he,s just starting out alot of rods to choose from. But all in all good advice. Write we can talk shop sometime .
[signature]