Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flathead lures
This weekend I'm fishing a local dam that is known for flathead catfish. Knowing that they feed primaraly on live bait, I was curious if anyone has tried using swimbaits or and other kind of lure to catch them. Thanks!
[signature]
I have never heard of anyone doing it but you never know with catfish. I have caught channel cats here in UT on just about everything you can think of. Cranks, plastics, flies, spinner baits,, top-water, bait, kastmasters, etc. Might be worth a slow roll on the bottom.
[signature]
Thanks, I just recently bought some Storm wildeye live sunfish so I'm gonna give those a try[fishin]
[signature]
Flatheads on a lure? You better pack a lunch, maybe two; you're going to be there a while.

You're best bet is to catch up some live bream or go buy some shad and call it a day. Carolina rig with a 50 lb main line, good to go.

If you're using a combo small enough to cast a lure, chances are it's not heavy enough and a big flathead will shred your gear.
[signature]
Most tackle stores sell catfish Artificial worms. It is type of worm that can be dipped into stink bait, which makes it stick to the bait for longer periods of time. Channel cats and flat heads will absolutely destroy this bait.
[signature]
Tanman,

I have fished for trophy flathead for 20 years or more.

[Image: 082706size.jpg]

I have never heard of anyone (who admitted) purposely fishing for flathead
with lures.

Flathead are fish eaters but are not easily fooled by artificial baits.

[Image: 081906Esize.jpg]

Bass tournaments here will report a fisherman catching a flathead from
time to time.These are often male flathead protecting eggs or fry. They
attack lures thinking they plan on eating their young.

I know one tournament walleye angler who has caught a few flathead. He finds
fish on a depthfinder and dangles a spoon directly in front of it. This could be a
dormant flathead whose first reaction to something moving is to strike.

Your chances of winning the lottery are about twice as good as your
shot at a flathead using a lure.

Use a good lively baitfish and your odds improve greatly.

[Image: 4bigA.jpg]
[signature]
MONSTER FLAT HEAD CATFISH: Those are some giant catfish... Pay lakes many use artificial worm that is dipped into stink bait, which holds the smell longer... Flatheads and channel cats can be caught using that technique.... I agree flatheads are meat eaters, but they are also attracted by dying smell... Ohio River I know anglers that search for big catfish, most use cut baits, shad guts or chicken liver.... Those are some giant catfish and thank you for sharing....
[signature]
Hey thanks a bundle! I plan doing a lot more Flathead fishing this spring and summer and from all the information I've received, live bait is the way to go
[signature]