Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling motor help
We bought a great Four Winns 190 Horizon this summer instead of a bass boat, or popping for a brand new fish/ski boat.. So I'm going to be converting the boat to a fish/ski on my own..

I have the swim deck mount figured out so that I can mount a transom mount trolling motor back there.. But it is WAY back there and sort of hard to get to unless you are standing on the swim deck itself..

So what I'm looking for is a transom mount trolling motor with a remote control.. I'm really hoping that I'm not wishing for something that doesn't exist but I haven't had much luck finding what I'm looking for.. I probably could use a standard control if I had a very long shaft so I could sit on the back deck with my feet on the swim platform and still reach the trolling motor controls.. But I'm thinking that this may be a challenge..

Any thoughts??
[signature]
Need Photo's no one will know what you want, unless they have a boat like yours! So post your photo's with the question again!
Dennis
[signature]
Not sure what photos you would need.. I'm just looking for a plain old transom mount trolling motor that has a remote rather than a tiller to drive it..
[signature]
I may be wrong ! But I don't think they make a remote control transom trolling motor! The only transom motors I've seen with foot control and any control is Bow mount only! Good Luck!
Dennis
[signature]
Thanks Dennis..
[signature]
Steve:[/i][/b]
[#005000][/#005000]Look I'm just having one of those bad days! What ever I do or say has gotten someone upset or just Angry at me. In a matter of fact is that I'm having trouble with my Bow mount [#ee3030]Minn[/#ee3030] [#ee3030]Kota[/#ee3030] 70# thrust 24 volt. I just got mounted on my bow and this is the first time for me to have a foot control. For some crazy reason it not working the way I thought it should! I did do a [#ee3030]google[/#ee3030] search and something came up with a device to use on [#ee3030]transom[/#ee3030] mount [#326aaf]trolling[/#326aaf] motors makes it operate like bow mounts. Just type in on [#ee3030]google[/#ee3030] search ( [#ee3030]Transom[/#ee3030] remote control [#326aaf]trolling[/#326aaf] motors) I hope this helps. Good luck, but it is good idea to have a photo of something like your boat for questions to be answered.[/i][/b]
[#005000][/#005000]Dennis[/i][/b]
[signature]
I'm not upset, I appreciate the answers.. I spent pretty much all day yesterday trying to find a transom mount with a remote and couldn't find any..

I'd really rather put it on the bow, but there is no real way to do that with the shape of the bow without getting out the fiberglass..

[Image: 3757686255_e2f06f32ca.jpg]

[Image: bobwink.gif]

There isn't enough flat space out there to make it happen.. I should buy a mounting plate and play around with possible locations..
[signature]
Check with this site called [url "http://www.tinboats.net"]www.tinboats.net[/url] Also another site [url "http://www.themarinedoctor.com"]www.themarinedoctor.com[/url] . You'll have to sign up but great advice from both. They may ask you to put your boat photo's on some web site, but it is free also. I put mine on photobucket.com. You may be able to get the new minn kota that has a small platform and may be able to put a small plywood treated or marine grade then painted and bolted down just in the bow . Or maybe lite gauge aluminum!
Dennis
[signature]
have you thought about an engine mounted trolling motor?

[url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=product&cmCat=Related_IPL_010738&id=0038069018092a"]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=product&cmCat=Related_IPL_010738&id=0038069018092a[/url]
[signature]
Yeah, thought about that too.. It might be worth taking a second look..

I had locked in my head because I have an I/O and I was concerned with being able to get the big motor up out of the way for running shallow, and having the trolling motor not drag while running the big motor.. But this might be the easiest solution..
[signature]
My buddy has a 186 DC Keywest with one of those motor-mounted Minn Kotas on it. It works very well. Consider that his boat is a deep vee, and we take it out in the ocean trolling for kings, and also run the skinny water in the creeks with the same boat using that trolling motor. I like it because it operates the same way as if you were driving the boat normal. It moves the boat along at a good clip too. I was very surprised. Tom gave you some good advice.

The next thing is, you CAN set a bow mounted trolling motor up on your boat. There's no reason you can't craft a piece of aluminum or something and mount it to the deck with Stainless Steel screws. Similar to how a roller fair lead would be mounted, like adding a bow pulpit to the boat made of aluminum. If done right, it would look pretty good.

Next, I believe i've seen the extended trolling motor arms before, that would add a couple feet of reach. Not sure if that is a viable option for you.
[signature]
At this point I'm leaning heavily toward the engine mounted trolling motor.. I can get the single (55 pound thrust) and see how that handles.. For $700 it seems like a reasonable shot to take..

[Image: 92708-a.jpg]

I'm going to check with minn kota and and see if I can get the install instructions before I buy it so I can check/measure everything..
[signature]
You should be able to download the instructions off the Minn Kota website.
[signature]