Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baitcasting reel questions...
I'm considering trying a baitcasting set-up and have a few questions. First one is that the I've always used a spinning reel and have always cast with my right and reeled with the left. But I get the impression that normal baitcasting is to cast and then switch hands to reel? I would think reeling with my left hand would feel more natural for me. So what do you all think ? Also would a decent bait casting reel be less than $100.
[signature]
I have seen baitcasters for both hands. Check out basspro.com I think that is where I have seen them or cabelas.com. I cast left handed so no problem here. But like I said have seen right handed ones too. Here is one by shimano at bassproshops. [url "http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_96645_100001000_100000000_100001000_100-1-0"]http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_96645_100001000_100000000_100001000_100-1-0[/url]
[signature]
Yep, you can get left hand and right hand models; so that's not an issue. Pick yourself up an Abu Garcia to start out with. They are a mid range bait caster, mid priced and a little above average in quality. Good reel for the money, and easy to learn to cast. I'm going to assume you're using it for casting lures and such. Learn to play with the spool break on the side of the reel. It controls how fast or slow the spool moves during free spool. Learning to master the break setting will aid in your learning to cast, and eliminate most of your back lashes.
[signature]
[#005000]I was in the same predicament as your in now! I bought my reel & rod from Cabela's Left handed Abu Garcia Black Max and the Rod was a Berkley Lightin 7' split seat handle. The rod was MH and fast speed, the reel 6.2:1, for both I paid under $100.00 total. Also look into YouTube for video about using baitcasting reels.[/#005000]
[#005000]Good Luck![/#005000]
[#005000]Dennis[/#005000]
[signature]
Im the same way you are and all my reels are left hand retrieve cause i reel with my left hand. Theses days more and more reels are coming out as left hand retrieve reels so you should not have a problem finding one. And yes you can find quite a few decent reels under $100. I personally recommend the Diawa Exceler! Its lightweight and small enough to fit in the palm of your hands, which is really important if you fish alot of plastics. They are around $70.00 give or take. Its great for the beginner or even the advanced angler. Its a great reel to start out with.
[signature]
i wholeheartedly agree with this. I found once I got used to the baitcaster it is one of my favorite reels for big bass and such.
[signature]
You can get most reels today with left-hand retrieve. I would go with the Daiwa Exceler, great reel for the price. You can get them at UltimateFishingTackle.com for under under $70.