Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reducing missed fish..
As some of you know I have only been fly fishing for about 9 months or so, and I try to learn more and more every time I get out to fish. Well today I did a little experiment and tried to figure out my hook up ratio. Out of 20 or so solid strikes I only hooked up on 3 fish.
Now my question is.. What can I do to reduce my chances of missing fish?? Today I was fishing a nymph about 8 feet under a thingamabobber strike indicator at my local pond.
[signature]
Unfortunately everyone misses fish some more then others on certain days.

It is all timing.

On buggers and things with long tails, cut the tails shorter or add a stinger hook. Nymphs, maybe a smaller one.
But just know, it happens to even the best.
[signature]
When nymphing, you need to react very very quickly since the fish sample your fly and spit it out almost immediately.

The first key is to keep a sharp eye on your indicator so you react as soon as it makes any unnatural movement (when in doubt, set the hook. It's free). This is especially true when mending.

The second thing you can do is keep as little line out between your indicator and your rod tip as possible without causing the indicator to drag. This will further reduce the time to set the hook.

The third thing is to not be afraid to make a rapid and rather forceful set. The rod will take up any excess force and you have a lot of line to move before the hook moves.

You didn't say if you're fishing still or moving water but for moving water, it helps to set downstream since the fish are facing upstream (not always possible).

Hope that helps.

Jim
[signature]
Good point Jim. With indicator it has to be a good set. The line is going out from your rod then straight down, so when you set the hook or react, it is just straightening the 45 degree angle you have.
What I do, when I see the indicator go down I keep my tip down and pull the line (that way if it does spit the hook, it is still in the zone). If I still feel the tug, then I lift the tip.
[signature]
I was fishing stillwater. Its my local stocked pond... After I posted earlier, it dawned on me that I did not stretch my line before I started fishing this morning. So my flyline was not very straight and had lots of kinks and curves, and since you said that I need to have as little line out between the indicator and rod tip, I think that had alot to do with my problem.
[signature]