Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba Conditions 2-18-10
[cool][#0000ff]I hadn't had any personal feedback on Yuba for a couple of weeks so I contacted Jeff Rasmussen, the manager for the State Parks at Yuba to get an update. Here is his response to my specific questions. Thanks Jeff.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1. Current water level and ice conditions.[/#0000ff]
The reservoir level currently sits at 61.3 feet. Full is 80 feet. That's 41% capacity. Its coming up at about 4 feet per month. I do not have a recent ice condition report and there have been few, if any, fishermen to talk to. My guess is that the ice is still 10-12" thick but the edges are very week with the water level coming up and the warm daytime temperatures. If anyone does go out, please make sure to double check ice thicknesses by drilling test holes.
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2. Water level forecasts for this year, based on snowpack estimates.[/#0000ff]
Last I checked, our snowpack for the Sevier drainage is near 100%. The problem is that most of that water is in Southern Utah and it has to pass through many hands before it gets to Yuba. The snowpack in the Central Utah portion of our drainage is not good right now. January and February were on the dry side. Anything could happen between now and summer but my guess is that we might gain another 8-10 feet unless we start getting more snow.
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]3. Recent fishing reports...or projected fishing conditions at ice out.[/#0000ff]
I have not had a chance to talk with anyone in the last couple of weeks but judging from the lack of fishermen my guess is that the fishing is pretty slow. I do not remember the fishing really picking up last year after ice-off until May. At that time I know of several people who consistently caught Pike and a Walleye or two. My guess is that the pike fishing will remain fair this spring and the Walleye and Perch fishing will be tough.
[signature]