Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A few fishing questions
Hey guys, I have a few questions concerning fishing related to water current and temperate.

First, I would like to ask what kind of fish I might catch in a very strong current such as down from a spillway, or in a fast moving Sabine River?

Second, for the much faster moving currents, what kind of sinker should I use in order to keep my hook in a specific area on the river. Or should I let it flow with the current?

Third, I know that temperatures affect fishing, but i'm not sure how. Could someone explain this?
[signature]
Well I do know they have certain leaders that you can hook into for rivers and streams. They have a long steel rod about a foot long that sticks in the ground while your hook/bait stay in the same spot just about 3 feet down from it, not sure of the name though.
[signature]
I fish fast water for trout and smallies. Some places stripers. I keep my bait moving eather with the current or reeling in. I don't knopw what fish your after or what you'll be useing for bait. Watch some of the old timers for a few mins. and see what works for them.
[signature]
Temperature really depends on the species of fish you are after. Fish like trout prefer cooler water and will be at there peak movement at around ~10-15 degrees C (depending on the exact species of trout). Brown trout like it slightly warmer then say Cutthroat trout. Sunfish (bass and bluegill) prefer warmer water ~20 degrees C or above.

In general the colder the water is below the fishes optimal temperature the less movement you get out of them. Same goes for the temperature being above optimal for that species. If it gets too hot for the fish they will most likely die.

Hope that helps.
[signature]
gdn443, thankyou. I don't know why but for some reason I felt like letting my bait flow with the current would decrease the chances of a fish coming across it. [Image: happy.gif] I figured even the most horrid smelling baits wouldn't carry their scents very well in a strong current. Maybe i'll have a little better luck.
Thanks
-Cody
-StuckInTheSwamp, Louisiana
[signature]
Thanks doolay. This sort of clarifies what I had thought. So you can guestimate what depth you fish based on what fish your looking for? Also, if a fish is out of it's prefered temperature, it is asleep, or dormant is what I mean lol?
-Thanks
-Cody
-StuckInTheSwamp,Louisiana
[signature]
Kinda, with some fish you could definitely fish according to the temp at certain depths. There is one thing to watch out for though. Some times in the warm months and in the low food density the fish will migrate to cold water during the day mainly because they use less energy in those colder temps. Like trout, they will move into water that is roughly 4 degrees C in the summer when most surface temps are in the 15-20 + degree C range.

Usually when a fish is out of its optimal temp range it would go into a sort of dormant stage, they will eat but what their after has to be worth their time and energy to go and get it.
[signature]
Alright. So that's definately something you learn with experience and time at a given location. And looking at your log book patterns couldn't hurt at all either.

Thanks so much!
[signature]