Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
went fishing 3 times since the 16th
A few friends and I picked up our licenses middle of the month and figured we would get out and try to catch some pike. We drove to Glendale with a tip to try the spillway area. No luck, so couple days later tried canoe creek for some carp (never fished so early for carp, but heard they were biting) no luck again. Talked to one more guy that said stripers, lakers, and walleye would be biting below the spillway at raystown, so decided to give that a chance. Should have stayed home again, haha, though there was a guy fishing the point and hooked up with a striper, but lost it at the bank.

Kinda driving me nuts that the weather is getting so nice, all I want to do is go fishing, especially since I keep hearing this is the time to catch some of the species I have never caught, most notably striper. Anyone having better luck??
[signature]
we are pretty much in the same boat when it comes tripers, well I havent caught anything since the ice left us here in michigan.

we are getting some browns and steelehead runs, but I am looking for suckers... those are fun and taisty if you smoke them.
[signature]
I go to glendale all the time around this time of the year for pike and pound them usually. Ill be honest though, the spillway was not the place to go. Try mud lick, if you have a boat. If not you will have a hard time getting in there. What lures are you using up glendale for pike? That my be a problem as well. Im going up sunday morning for pike. I also know of another BFT user going as well. Ill be sure to report on how we do. If we dont get rained out.
[signature]
We used a bunch of stuff. Mostly we intended on using small chubs and suckers, but we enen had trouble getting them, only got 3 small chubs. So for artificials we used different colored spoons, perch rapalas, storm soft plastic pike swim baits, and some different cranks and spinner baits.

We have access to a couple boats sometimes, so we are gonna have to check out mud lick, that is down from the campground?
[signature]
Well it sounds like you are on the right track with lures and bait, one thing i would add is a few X-raps. I do really well with them up there. We were just there on sunday up mudlick. We did not do really well, but the conditions were not on our side. It was overcast and windy with an approaching storm. The water temp was 41 and we really needed some sun to warm the fish up. the 20 mins of sun we had is when we had most of our action. We had a few followers and i lost one. My buddy i took with me got one about 14 or 15". I think next weekend would be the time to go with the warm temps and sunshine.

If you are standing in the main marina looking out at the lake, Mud lick is the finger to your far left. anything to the left of the marina produced nice pike through early June. then they head deep.
[signature]
Been waning to pick up some xraps but what are some good colors and sizes? I would get up there this weekend if I could, but it doesn't look like I will make it, though Monday I may take the wife and go. Some good news is have found a boat that needs a motor and trailer
[signature]
I like to use size 8 in the perch and clown colors. We just went up on friday and did better than we have the saturday before. We got alot of pickerel And only one small pike. We had 2 big pike followers be they did not take the bait. The followed our bait from deeper water, so the next time i go up im gonna run some mid range cranks in some deeper water. Good luck Smile
[signature]
if u can get to yellow creek state park u can do pretty good right now on pike. me and the women pound out the pike with chubs and shinners. many places to fish to.
[signature]